Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Performer ignition question?  (Read 2200 times)

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
Performer ignition question?
« on: October 17, 2013, 07:23:48 PM »
Does anyone know if it is possible to convert an older Performer with standard ignition over to the newer, more advanced electronic ignition that became available on 2013 Performers? Basically, will the newer ignition fit on an older grill?
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
Re: Performer ignition question?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 07:55:25 PM »
The wire harness is different, but may work for this configuration. Old will not go on new, wires are shorter.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 09:52:45 PM »
Anyone have pics of this e-ignition?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 05:48:27 AM »
The wire harness is different, but may work for this configuration. Old will not go on new, wires are shorter.

Just make the wires longer..  I would be curious to see the new ignition as well. I do know that the burner tube fromt h old ss grills is the same on the newer-ish Performers. (Haven't seen a 2013)
The regulator hose fits into it the same way, (small clip) the only differnece is the regulator and the propane tank hook up. If someone wanted to put a newer set up on an older ss grill, its as simple as adding a bracket to hold the valve\regulator. So why would you wnat to do that? Well, for one, the older ss grills use a 5lb propane tank that can be a bit costly to replace. Especially if you need a new hose and regulator assembly. If you were to convert to the newer set up, it woiuld be easy to use the 5 to 20 lb tank hose adapter. If you put a 20 lb propane tank on a Performer, you wouldn't need to buy Propane for a very long time..  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 06:10:42 AM »
I tried to find a schematic for a 2013 Performer. The newest model with propane start si called a Performer Platinum.  I can't see any differnece in the ignition from an previous models.

Weber ahs 2 kinds of igniton for gas, this includes gas grills.. You push a button and it generates a spark via a friction setup. The second is with a battery that actually introduces volatge to creat the spark. I prefer the original way. When working correctly, it never fails and younever need to change batteries.

The Performer has a gas tube with the igniter inside the tube. Kinda crazy, but it works.
The gas grills that I have worked on have an ignitor box that sits outside the gas tube. Usually in a corner away from the main cooking area. They eventually fail or the burner tube gets clogged. It take a long time for thse things to occur. Regualr maintenance will keep it lasting for years.. I repeat, years..

I guess I may have to stop by a Weber dealer and check out the newest modles to see if they are any different. I highly doubt it.

Happy Grilling everyone!   8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 05:58:33 PM »
IMO the older ignition is better. No batteries to go dead. I have the newer style on my Q-220 and the battery leaked, corroding the contacts. Then mice chewed the rubber edge around the button.  ::)
kettles, smokers...