Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Restored REDHEAD MT (pic heavy)!!!!  (Read 4130 times)

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
Restored REDHEAD MT (pic heavy)!!!!
« on: September 24, 2013, 08:20:55 PM »
So when the WKC zonie division made all the trades a few weeks ago I acquired a free red MT courtesy of G$. Thanks Gerd. So it took a lot of work to get it to this point. I wanted to rehab this kettle without buying any parts for it and thanks again to G$ as he supplied me with enough parts. So here we go with pics.

Before pics some taken by G$ and some by me. First one from the ad it was listed in.

Now for the restore and clean up and some of them polishing skills. Let's see how it turns out!

Thanks for looking. I can't wait to fire this kettle up. I love it!!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Looking for--- a yellow mbh any size, sequoia ( I know I am dreaming), avocado any size, brownie any size.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Restored REDHEAD MT (pic heavy)!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 08:24:08 PM »
Nice one, Mikey. I love the polished bits. The MT is a great bbq.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

tattooedant

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 08:32:47 PM »
oh I gotta get a polishing wheel setup asap!..looks awesome
NYC Kettle Hunter (where <30 min drives do not exist)

Craig

• WKC Mod
Restored REDHEAD MT (pic heavy)!!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 08:38:15 PM »
That cleaned up good!

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 05:34:38 AM »
Nice one, Mikey. I love the polished bits. The MT is a great bbq.

Yeah I can already tell this kettle is going to be in regular rotation for cooks. The polishing on this one took quite a bit of time as all the aluminum pieces were pretty scuffed up. There was also some really sticky kind of residue on the ash ring air flow plate that did not want to come off. And the inside of the bowl I gave up on trying to get all the way clean as it had some kind of white marks that seemed to be etched into the coating that I scrubbed and scrubbed for hours, I got most of it out though.  Wished I would of had a lighter stain color for the handle. But as I stated I wanted to not spend money on parts or anything for this kettle.
Looking for--- a yellow mbh any size, sequoia ( I know I am dreaming), avocado any size, brownie any size.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 06:10:53 AM »
Ehhh, it looks ok I guess.

Just kidding, great job as always.  I like the way the handles look.   I typically like a lighter stain with the reds, but that looks super, and really has an original vibe to it.  Leg cap and char baskets look nice too!  The lid had a bit of an out of round to it I think.  Were you able to sort that?

sticky kind of residue on the ash ring air flow plate that did not want to come off
You will find this mystery residue on all M/Ts with the plaque style ring.  Although I like the style better, it is the down side to it.

Aawa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 06:20:37 AM »
Sharp looking restoration on that redhead!
* 2011 Touch and Go Performer * 2009 Touch and Go Performer * 2005 Touch and Go Performer * Sublime Smoke Ugly Drum Smoker * 2012 Mini WSM *

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 06:58:40 AM »
The lid had a bit of an out of round to it I think.  Were you able to sort that?

sticky kind of residue on the ash ring air flow plate that did not want to come off
You will find this mystery residue on all M/Ts with the plaque style ring.  Although I like the style better, it is the down side to it.

G$ I was able to get the lid pretty round again and it was a bit untrue also so it took some work. As for that residue it was like automotive interior panel glue and was on there pretty good it left marks on the plaque that didn't want to come out.

On another note has anyone ever repainted the diagram on the plaque for the air flow? I was thinking of doing this.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 09:53:48 AM by AZ_MIKEY »

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 09:28:51 AM »
Great job...you got the polishing steps down pat.  Its ready for an awesome cook now!
Kettle collector AND cooker!

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 10:44:58 AM »
AZ_Mikey, I have been thinking I may need to send you all my twist ash pans and see if you can reshape them and polish them.

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 12:26:31 PM »
AZ_Mikey, I have been thinking I may need to send you all my twist ash pans and see if you can reshape them and polish them.

We will have to give one a try. I am going to polish up the legs and ash pan for my black 3 wheeler. On that pan even though it is not a twist pan I have to reshape it and prep it for polishing. So the body hammers and spoons are coming out of the tool box this coming week, been a good 4 years since I last used them. Will be fun though. Restoring grills is so much easier and enjoyable than cars. Not that I don't enjoy doing the performance and resto/hot rod work I do it is just that grills are easier and cheaper than cars!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 09:00:47 PM »
That came out very nice, looks great!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 09:13:28 AM »
Suggestions for a first cook on her? I am stopping by the store after work and picking something up so I can fire it up and break it in.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 10:43:31 AM by AZ_MIKEY »

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 09:36:39 AM »
Something where you need a hot fire to really see the color change of the red --- steak!
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

JayCee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 05:01:36 AM »
Awesome work! Definitely inspiring me to get mine looking shiny.