Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Food for thought: boneless chicken.  (Read 1169 times)

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
Food for thought: boneless chicken.
« on: September 24, 2013, 05:36:54 PM »
So if you de-bone a chicken, then stuff it with a stuffing made with sweated shallots, green apple, cognac, and breadcrumbs, then roll it up and tie it, you get something that looks like a fat caterpillar.

I also seasoned the meat with lemon juice and salt and poultry seasoning, then did likewise to the skin after I tied it all up.  Then did a reverse sear, with cauliflower along for the ride. 

When it got to about 150, I seared all sides until it was at 160. 

Then rested.

No plated pics, as the family was pretty hungry.  The flavors were spot-on, but I was wishing it would have been a bit more juicy (and that I'd done a bit more knifework to allow the stuffing to be more centered in the roll).   I'm wondering if y'all would suggest searing it first... not sure if reverse searing is better suited for beef and pork, which don't have skin to seal in the juices. 
One of the charcoal people.

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
Re: Food for thought: boneless chicken.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 07:27:03 AM »
Looks good. How did the cauliflower turn out and what did you do if anything to prep it before putting it on the grill?
Looking for--- a yellow mbh any size, sequoia ( I know I am dreaming), avocado any size, brownie any size.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 09:16:38 AM »
For cauliflower, I just toss it with some olive oil and salt in a bowl, then roast it.  It gets sweet like candy, and people rave about it.  Sometimes I mix it with broccoli as well. 

On this cook, I left it in larger pieces so I could more easily move it on and off of the warming rack.  When I'm doing more, I just dedicate a 22 with indirect heat and one of those large Weber perforated grill pans to crank it out.  Smaller pieces too, which roast more evenly.  Takes about 20 minutes with a 3/4 chimney. 

smokeyjoeuk-ray

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 04:02:36 AM »
that certainly looks good, the cauli interests me cos i have got a warming rack with my 57 and was actually wondering if i'd use it or not, guess i know the answer now. :)

ray.

I need a red head in my life, and a roti ring.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 05:30:07 AM »
(don't go talking about your warming rack around here, Ray... they are unavailable in the US, and so people will be begging for you to send boxes of them to the US...)

IrondeQuer

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 06:09:13 AM »
Wow, interesting idea.