Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pot o Red (actually Dutch Oven o red)  (Read 2905 times)

Aawa

• WKC Brave
Pot o Red (actually Dutch Oven o red)
« on: September 20, 2013, 03:35:24 PM »
Well it started cooling down and I had some roasted hatch chiles I needed to use, so I decided what better way than with a pot of chili! 

I went to the store picked up some pasillas, jalapenos, green peppers and chunked up chuck steak that was on sale for buy one get one free ($5.99 for 2lbs when chuck steak was selling for $4.99/lb)  I had some chile powder, roasted hatch chiles, and a bunch of banana peppers onhand already oh and 1 beef short rib from last weekend.

I roasted off the other peppers, and then removed the seeds.  (sorry no pics, I was nursing a hangover)  I put all the roasted peppers into the blender and gave it a spin, then added the chile powder, apple cider vinegar, and a splash of worchestershire sauce, oregano, and cumin.  Pulled out a Sam Adam's Octoberfest from my roommate's stash, and brought everything out to the grill.

Setup the kettle so I could go high heat putting the DO directly over the coals and move it away from the coals should I need to lower the heat on it.

Sweat out the sweet onions and garlic, then threw in the meat.

Once nice and brown everybody jumped into the pool.

After I brought it up to a boil, I moved the DO on the cool side of the kettle and threw the cover on for the long slow simmer.  Kettle was humming along at about 275 degrees grate temp (300ish dome temp)  I stirred every 10-15mins or so.

Nice DO full of red waiting to be dished out.

My bowl o red w/ steamed rice.
* 2011 Touch and Go Performer * 2009 Touch and Go Performer * 2005 Touch and Go Performer * Sublime Smoke Ugly Drum Smoker * 2012 Mini WSM *

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: Pot o Red (actually Dutch Oven o red)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 03:40:32 PM »
Good looking chilli, and good use of the DO!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 03:43:10 PM »
I love a good chili - that looks great.

Aawa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 03:45:13 PM »
Good looking chilli, and good use of the DO!

I felt the need to use it as I hadn't used it in almost 9 months.  It was feeling lonely!
* 2011 Touch and Go Performer * 2009 Touch and Go Performer * 2005 Touch and Go Performer * Sublime Smoke Ugly Drum Smoker * 2012 Mini WSM *

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 06:37:27 PM »
Looks tasty! It's getting to be chili season, I need to try this.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 04:18:33 AM »
That looks so simple and delicious!!
I have yet to use my CI DO in the kettle ... now you've inspired me. Thanks!  :D
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 07:06:00 AM »
That does look delicious, I've been tentative to put the enamel on the kettle because I'm lazy and don't want to clean it but after seeing this I might have to try. It'll be another month or two before it's chili weather though  8) once we get into the 60's maybe I'll get a hot pot o chili going.
WTB: Genesis Jr.

Aawa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 07:14:33 AM »
That does look delicious, I've been tentative to put the enamel on the kettle because I'm lazy and don't want to clean it but after seeing this I might have to try. It'll be another month or two before it's chili weather though  8) once we get into the 60's maybe I'll get a hot pot o chili going.

The temperature he in the evening is in the 60s which is why I wanted some chili.  And I have another enamel coated cast iron dutch oven that I use on my kettle as well.  I use that more than the raw cast iron dutch oven.  Clean up on both is easy.  On the enamel coated one I just wipe it down and it is good to go.  The raw cast iron one I take a wash rag to it to knock any bits off of it, then towel dry it.

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 12:06:18 PM »
Good to know, I have 3 different enameled DO I'll have to give it a try.
WTB: Genesis Jr.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 08:56:49 PM »
Nice job! Who needs an stove or oven when you have Kettles... :o

Aawa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 09:49:27 PM »
Nice job! Who needs an stove or oven when you have Kettles... :o

Ain't that the truth.  I do most of my meals on the kettle as opposed to the stove or oven.