Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Grilling a 7 lb bone in leg of lamb  (Read 2757 times)

spinsheet

• Smokey Joe
Grilling a 7 lb bone in leg of lamb
« on: September 01, 2013, 06:03:41 PM »
Guys,

Since you all were such a huge help when I grilled my pork butt I'm gonna ask for some more advice. I'm about to grill a 7 lb. bone in leg of lamb for Labor Day. How long should this grill? I've seen from 20 mins per pound (about 2.5 hours) to 1.25 hours. Any suggestions? Wondering why a pork but that weighed less would cook for 8 hours? How much time at what temp should I shoot for? I'm assuming that a 140 internal temp is what I'm after then let it rest for about 20 mins. Any thoughts?

I'm going to marinade overnight with a rosemary, Dijon mustard, and olive oil mix that I found.

Thanks!

edhead35

• WKC Ranger
Re: Grilling a 7 lb bone in leg of lamb
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 07:02:40 PM »
Pork butts are going for well done on a low and slow path.

Leg of lamb should be med rare to medium on a standard roasting path.

Not sure on total time but I would pull it at 130 internal temperature and rest for 20 minutes for medium doneness in the middle. Rough guess would be 15-20 minutes per pound at 325 but it also depends on setup and other factors. Let the meat come to room temp before roasting.

edhead35

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 07:03:57 PM »
140 then resting could put you at 150 with carryover cooking which is medium well territory. Depends on what you are after.

Edit to add..  You may or may  not want to sear or reverse sear. That will affect the cooking time some too.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 07:06:49 PM by edhead35 »

spinsheet

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 07:30:41 PM »
I'm shooting for rare but I figure with the shape of the leg if the big part is rare then the narrower part should end up medium or even well done, which one or two of the kids might like. So would 120 and rest for 20 mins give me rare?

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 07:22:39 AM »
I need to get my wife to like lamb.  I'd love to do a leg on the grill.