Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: London Broil and tomato risotto  (Read 2363 times)

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
London Broil and tomato risotto
« on: August 30, 2013, 02:08:53 PM »
This is my 1,000th post on WKC! I have to say you guys are great, I love seeing what we do here. It gets better everyday. Thanks everyone for being you!

Now it's time for last nights dinner. First up, album of the night:
Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band: Live Bullet

Once the music was established it was time for dinner. Here's my cooking setup for the night.

First to go on the flame was the tomato risotto.  Onion, garlic and tomato recipe starter my wife bought to try.

While the risotto was nicely simmering away I had the grill ready to go. Borrowed the CI grate from the akorn to get some nice marks on the steak. Here's the steak getting close to done.

Risotto almost done

Since everything was getting close time to fire up the second burner with some shrooms and onion

Here is the steak after a nice 10 minute rest.

Final Plate on the fine china

Thanks for checking out my cook!
Michael

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

edhead35

• WKC Ranger
Re: London Broil and tomato risotto
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 02:11:41 PM »
That London broil looks great. Risotto is one of my favorite meals by itself but put a steak next to it and it is heaven.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 02:12:50 PM »

ZINGO !!!!

Happy 1000 !!!!!

Nice lookin' dinner !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 02:14:38 PM »
Thanks guys! I wish I had asparagus to add to that risotto it would have topped it off perfectly.

MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

tattooedant

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 02:25:00 PM »
How do you make the risotto? That looks good... :P
NYC Kettle Hunter (where <30 min drives do not exist)

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 02:36:40 PM »
Thank you C_S, for all your posts, including this one!

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 02:40:43 PM »
It's pretty simple first you need arborio rice. Then some type of flavored liquid. I've used all different kinds of stuff. Tomato broth, chicken or beef stock, cream of mushroom soup, heavy cream or even plain water. The goal is to flavor the rice as you cook it. Add whatever vegetables you like. I often use onion, garlic, some Thyme works great if your doing chicken broth. You can also add meat too it if you want. I would add chicken breast cut up around the half way point of the second cup of water. Shrimp or scallops around the halfway point of the third cup. It's really whatever you want it to be.

1 cup of rice equals 3 cups cooked.
 sauté rice in 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 tbsp of olive oil until lightly brown. Next you need 3 cups of liquid. Add one cup of liquid and simmer until most is absorbed. Then add another cup until absorbed finally add the last cup and wait till absorbed. Finish with some Parmesan cheese and your golden!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 03:15:22 PM »

I like recipes like this.....

Steps, stages, but flexibility at each turn.....
Sometimes it makes it harder to lay out for others to follow & some people like an exacting recipe, but leeway is where it's at for me.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Thin Blue Smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 04:02:09 PM »
CS, I love the work area from the former gasser cart! Way cool!

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 04:14:30 PM »
I don't measure much either buckie lol. I have been writing things down lately so I can recreate anything I have tried to make. If someone asks I can recreate it instead of saying throw this in and that in.

TBS it is a great table work area to have. I've seen others on this site that I used for my build. I added an old side burner to it and used some extra hardwood flooring we had from our house. I roll it next to the kettle Im cooking on. Then my extra burner is from a turkey deep frier that I use when needed. It fires up charcoal in just a few minutes. Having propane burners has really upped my cooking game and much less running back into the house.

tattooedant

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 04:39:02 PM »
It's pretty simple first you need arborio rice. Then some type of flavored liquid. I've used all different kinds of stuff. Tomato broth, chicken or beef stock, cream of mushroom soup, heavy cream or even plain water. The goal is to flavor the rice as you cook it. Add whatever vegetables you like. I often use onion, garlic, some Thyme works great if your doing chicken broth. You can also add meat too it if you want. I would add chicken breast cut up around the half way point of the second cup of water. Shrimp or scallops around the halfway point of the third cup. It's really whatever you want it to be.

1 cup of rice equals 3 cups cooked.
 sauté rice in 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 tbsp of olive oil until lightly brown. Next you need 3 cups of liquid. Add one cup of liquid and simmer until most is absorbed. Then add another cup until absorbed finally add the last cup and wait till absorbed. Finish with some Parmesan cheese and your golden!

Thanks! Totally gonna try it with the london broil I have for tomorrow. I keep imagining Gordon Ramsey rolling in and yelling, "that risotto looks like dog puke!" and then he throws my plate in the garbage...
NYC Kettle Hunter (where <30 min drives do not exist)

edhead35

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 06:10:49 PM »
Risotto is traditionally a main dish. It is a technique applied a million ways. Takes about 30 minutes of constant stirring for the long traditional method.

Anne Burrell on the food network has a risotto milanese and mushroom risotto that are very good and the recipes are on the food network site. Key is have your liquid simmering next to the rice so when you add it one Ladle at a time you don't have to wait for it to come back up to heat.

Texture is key too.

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 06:30:22 PM »
Ed is right, I've had it both ways as a main or a side. If its a main course I would add more ingredients. Shrimp, crab, scallops are a great start to a seafood style with a fish stock. Chicken and spinach would also work with chicken stock. . As a side I would try bacon, asparagus and mushroom with vegetable, chicken or even beef stock. It's whatever combo of ingredients sound good together. If you wanted to do a grilled combination I would find a stock very similar to what I was cooking on the grill. So if I wanted say the seafood risotto I would start with fish stock. Then grill my items about 3/4th the way through and add them to the risotto very close to the end. That way you don't over cook the meat but also add another layer of flavor. 

I did forget to mention it takes a lot of stirring. That's one of those second nature things I forgot. I've also made it using sweet ingredients to make rice pudding that's outta this world. It's been many years so I would have to think a while on that recipe.

edhead35

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 06:34:31 PM »
Carnaroli rice is the king of risotto, but arborio is the most widely used.

I love a good risotto Verde too. Spinach, aspargoose, green beans, and lastly some frozen peas right before serving.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 08:32:32 AM »
I like everything you did there ... looks delicious!
Congrats on the 1000th post ... You'll catch Buckie in no time ..  :o :o ;) ;)

I am liking the white legs on your blue OTG.  :D
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.