Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Sunday Chicken  (Read 2574 times)

Craig

• WKC Mod
Sunday Chicken
« on: August 25, 2013, 05:53:37 PM »
Reading the stories from the interview with member Jim Rosenthal and his demos from back in the day (thanks again, Jim and Marty G) , it got me craving some classic chicken on the kettle. The old school way. No rubs, no smoke wood, no beer cans. Just butter, salt and pepper. 1 hour, 20 minutes indirect. Internal temp between 170-175 degrees. I didn't even use my chimney, I used matchsticks to light the coals. I made a drip pan from foil, I think this is how I'm going to go with drip pans, cheaper then buying new ones all the time. The chicken came out super moist and was a hit with the family.

The sights 

The sounds

The smells.. (did some Italian sausages earlier in the afternoon)

The setup.

The bird

Plated with some herb chicken couscous and brown sugar carrots.

Thanks for stopping by folks!  :)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 06:11:52 PM by Craig »

G$

• WKC Performer
Re: Sunday Chicken
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 06:01:32 PM »
Love it Craig.  Thanks.

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Sunday Chicken
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 07:08:06 PM »
Nicely done sir!! Can I get a slice of that yard bird??

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

edhead35

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 04:01:35 AM »
Dee-lish. Nice work

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Sunday Chicken
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 07:20:42 PM »
Craig I just made one like this tonight. I brined mine for about 4 hours. Setup was the same using the char baskets the MT settled in at 347.  I wad chatting with my wife and not paying attention and the chicken went on breast side down.  About an hour and a half later I had the best chicken I've ever cooked! I looked once mid cook. It's absolutely the greatest way to roast a chicken. Thanks for posting this because it popped into my head at the store last night.  I think turkey is going to be killer this year using this setup.

MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 07:26:38 PM »
It reminds me of the way my Grandma used to roast chicken, except on the kettle.  What did you use for a brine?  :D

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Sunday Chicken
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 07:37:54 PM »
It was so easy and worked incredibly well. I will be doing that again.

1 cup kosher salt, 1 cup sugar, 2 bay leaves, 1 onion quartered 2 good dashes of soy sauce and I had a bunch if Lawry's poultry seasoning so I put about 1/4 cup of that in the pot. Maybe 2 Qts of water. Brought to a boil for a few minutes. Then I filled the pot with ice cubes to cool it off. (I've been watching too much Bobby Flay he uses brines a lot)

I also made gravy from the dippings and it was fantastic as well.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 07:41:20 PM »
Nice! I'll have to give that a whirl on my next yard bird.

Mmmmm

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 09:06:29 PM »
I like that. Nice and simple.

I hate "BBQ chefs." I don't buy BBQ / grilling cookbooks because I hate them too. All these "experts" make up these exotic recipes for rubs and marinades that have an ingredient list as long as my medical record that include ingredients a lot of us have never heard of, much less seen and for sure don't keep on hand.

IMO, grilling should be kept very simple. Grilling and BBQ is what largely flavors the meat. Seasoning are only to enhance the natural flavors. That is why I really appreciated the brisket video by "Grilling with Franklin" posted by Aawa. His rub consists of equal parts salt and pepper and he cranks out a great brisket. Trust me, I subscribed to that dude's channel. I want recipes so simple that I can always season something for the grill without making a trip to the store.
"What this world needs is more humble geniuses. There are so few of us left."

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Sunday Chicken
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 09:58:05 PM »
I agree on most of the odd items that they use on TV. I tend to season everything, some days are very simple and some are complex. I also build most of my rubs from scratch. Sometimes I buy store bought though. When I get an idea of a flavor profile, I like to have what I need on hand.  So I keep a few spices around...

Mmmmm

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 10:46:51 PM »
You're doubled up on cinnamon...

:))
"What this world needs is more humble geniuses. There are so few of us left."

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 07:10:20 AM »
Now that's an old school cook! Excellent job Craig!  :D

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 10:33:24 AM »
Roast chicken is one of my favorite kettle meals. Looks great!!! We eat couscous with it also, great pairing.
WTB: Genesis Jr.