Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ribs on the kettle.  (Read 2392 times)

Aawa

• WKC Brave
Ribs on the kettle.
« on: August 05, 2013, 04:42:11 PM »
Well I got off work early and I hit the grocery store.  I found that they were selling full racks of spares $1.68/lb.  So I decided to buy what they had in the store.

Got home at 3:30pm and decided it was enough time to cook up 3 racks of the thawed out ribs I bought, the rest went into the freezer for later.  I trimmed them to St. Louis cut ribs and rubbed with Butcher BBQ Premium Rub which is fantastic.  Then got the 2011 Performer ready using Wicked Good Weekend Warrior and some Oak that I had in my cache.  (sorry no pictures I wanted to get them on fast)

After an hour at 325 degrees the bark was starting to form nicely.

At 2 hours i checked them again and the bark was nicely set and they were weeping nicely.

After 3.5 hours they passed the bend test.  I glazed them with some sweet baby ray's chipotle bbq sauce cut with some bourbon.  And then threw an eggplant and tomatos right on the lit coals. 

Here are the ribs plated up.

Last rib for me tonight before I start in on the eggplant and last tomato.

I have 2 racks left, they will make for a nice lunch and dinner tomorrow.

Thanks for looking
* 2011 Touch and Go Performer * 2009 Touch and Go Performer * 2005 Touch and Go Performer * Sublime Smoke Ugly Drum Smoker * 2012 Mini WSM *

Kilted_Griller

• WKC Ranger
Re: Ribs on the kettle.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 04:58:47 PM »
Nice buy and a great cook! Bourbon in the BBQ sauce adds an awsome flavor. How did you eggplant turn out?
"The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook"
   ~Julia Child

Aawa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 05:06:05 PM »
The eggplant turned out good.  I was not a fan of eggplant, but my parents gave me one from their garden so I figured I would give it a shot to see if my pallate changed.   I ate it all and it tasted good, but it isn't something that I would go out of my way to buy.
* 2011 Touch and Go Performer * 2009 Touch and Go Performer * 2005 Touch and Go Performer * Sublime Smoke Ugly Drum Smoker * 2012 Mini WSM *

ccoiv

• Smokey Joe
Ribs on the kettle.
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 05:13:09 PM »
Try mopping the eggplant with a little EVOO With a splash of lemon juice. Just a little & it really sets off the flavor

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 05:20:20 PM »
Yep, those ribs look great. I have never done ribs in those stand up holders. Does anyone have an opinion of whether it makes any difference (other than space saving)?

Ken
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

Aawa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 05:23:17 PM »
Yep, those ribs look great. I have never done ribs in those stand up holders. Does anyone have an opinion of whether it makes any difference (other than space saving)?

Ken

I only used them so I could fit 3 racks of ribs onto the kettle.  If i'm doing 2 racks of ribs I don't use them.  I dont think they effect the cook at all.  It will mess with your bark though if you try moving them before the bark sets.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 06:03:21 PM by Aawa »

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Ribs on the kettle.
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 05:58:37 PM »
Perfect looking ribs! I'm in awe of your cooks!

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

BBQ Breath

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 06:19:19 PM »
Nice! I get my ribs at BJs on Military Highway in Norfolk. They run between $14-16 bucks for two racks. Glad to see another Hampton Roads Weber fan!

« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 06:21:41 PM by BBQ Breath »

Kilted_Griller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 06:44:24 PM »

Ken

I have tried it both ways and I do my ribs in a stand up rack. I also use the roti ring every time I do my ribs. If you spray the rack with a non-stick spray it doesn't affect the bark.
"The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook"
   ~Julia Child

Aawa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 06:56:19 PM »

Ken

I have tried it both ways and I do my ribs in a stand up rack. I also use the roti ring every time I do my ribs. If you spray the rack with a non-stick spray it doesn't affect the bark.

I'll have to give it a try with the non-stick spray.  Thanks for the pointer

Aawa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 06:57:05 PM »
Nice! I get my ribs at BJs on Military Highway in Norfolk. They run between $14-16 bucks for two racks. Glad to see another Hampton Roads Weber fan!

I have a buddy that found this forums and told me I should join also!  Very nice to know that there are other WKC members in the area.

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 04:43:20 AM »
Damn nice price on those ribs, and they look like they came out mighty tasty!