Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Saffa braai  (Read 1114 times)

Bufamotis

• Happy Cooker
Saffa braai
« on: October 11, 2024, 10:23:38 PM »
Howzit Weber fans,

Will here from Gauteng, South Africa. I've been braaing for years on various setups, but recently got into Weber-style kettles thanks to my wife and father-in-law. Started with a 57cm Naterial from Leroy Merlin as a budget intro.

We just tracked down the elusive Weber Manturion griddle and on my way to pick it up. Saw Matt's post about scoring one from a fellow South African, which got me curious.

I'm particularly keen to hear how you seasoned grill masters use the Manturion. Any tips or favourite recipes? Always looking to up my braai game and make the most of these versatile kettles.

Cheers,
Will

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: October 17, 2024, 07:45:50 AM by Bufamotis »
Stainless Procheff openflame with LK's rotisserie kit, Megamaster black - built-in, Landman gas Weber-Q clone, Weber 57cm compact with rotissery kit, Naterial 57cm Phoenix Beta

Bufamotis

• Happy Cooker
Re: Saffa braai kettlenoob
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2024, 04:29:51 AM »
Pristine condition..

« Last Edit: October 12, 2024, 04:36:34 AM by Bufamotis »
Stainless Procheff openflame with LK's rotisserie kit, Megamaster black - built-in, Landman gas Weber-Q clone, Weber 57cm compact with rotissery kit, Naterial 57cm Phoenix Beta

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2024, 06:02:34 AM »
Hello and welcome from Plainfield Indiana [emoji631]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2024, 06:15:53 AM »
Welcome from St. George Island FL!  At least that’s where we are now…. Will be kicking and screaming going home to Huntsville, AL soon…[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2024, 08:02:22 AM »
Welcome from Doraville, Ga USA sweet score on the griddle
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2024, 07:50:42 PM »
Welcome from Virginia Beach, Virginia, U.S.A.

Bufamotis

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2024, 11:52:17 PM »
My MG was apparently only used once then boxed back up

Previous owner owns a master touch, a green egg, and a gas patio weber, so I could guess he has enough toys.

But, I noticed today the surface is lightly warped, so liquids go to the outer edges. I guess you just learn to work with it, I don't think a rubber hammer would be a good idea?

Bufamotis

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2024, 11:56:23 PM »
Makes a helluva 'camp breakfast' though.

I need to do a bunch of contract draft work so no chance at a break away till December, so a camp brekky at home is the next best thing

Bufamotis

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2024, 11:28:46 AM »
I just stumbled across one of those custom wooden tables on Marketplace, about 6 blocks from my house no less.. And the set comes with, ironically, another MG. As well as a fish basket, cooling rack, rotisserie insert, standard weber etc etc

Any opinions? I'm bagging this tomorrow for around R2500 (about $143.73 apparently)

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2024, 11:43:50 AM »
Looks good and fun to me!  The Weber bug has bitten lol

Bufamotis

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2024, 10:30:13 PM »

Looks good and fun to me!  The Weber bug has bitten lol

I think I got a good score.

The Weber itself is a basic OG version. Legs are pressure fit, front leg needs a rubber foot, and one wheel needs the washer thing and nut that keeps it from falling off. The one touch cleaning fins need to be dis/reassembled after a thorough clean as does the rest of the grills and kit, there's some rust on the fish grill basket, and the cooling rack and corn row thing, but a wire brush might sort it out

The MG seems totally flat so that's a win, the table is in a good condition, one wheel nut just needs to be loosened slightly to allow the wheel will move.

The rotissery motor is a bit shot (old batteries left in) but the rotissery mantle and kit basically costs new, what this whole kit cost me.

I'll see if a Dremel brush and a pop rivet might fix the bottom battery spring arm.

Overall,a slight fixer upper bit I am sure it will clean up nicely

ASpitzer

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2024, 05:39:19 AM »
Welcome from Iowa. Looks like you've got a great set-up in the works. Have fun and enjoy the site and the great people here.
1957 Wood Dale Demo, MLH Mothership Ranch, 1980 Smokey Joe Black, 2014 Smokey Joe Black, 1992 Master Touch Green, 2022 Original Black, Glen Blue 26 in., 70th Anniversary Hot Rod Yellow

Gringo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2024, 07:58:54 AM »
Glad you joined! Welcome from Fairfax VA, USA.

Interesting setup, congrats!

Bufamotis

• Happy Cooker
Re: Saffa braai
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2024, 07:54:36 AM »
I had some remote work today and took my lunch hour to do cleanup.. The hubcap left is missing so I superglued a cable tie hoping it might hold for now...
I think the drill and wire brush did an amazing job at cleaning all the accessories from rust - teh coal grate is roughly pitted but clean now. I disassembled the cleaning fins as well and cleaned out as much rust as possible.
The parts of the kettle sides about the grill is quite rough but the inner parts cleaned up nicely

No offence to second hand sellers, but if you're gonna sell a braai, don't sell it with 10years worth of steak and tjop still stuck to the grill, it was a bit of a heavy clean, I almost want to throw away the wirebrush it's so gross but, I'm a cheapskate so I'll probably just degrease it a few times and hope for the best

I'm guessing this model is called the compact, since the only model marking seems to be the DT on the shutter?

« Last Edit: October 17, 2024, 07:56:37 AM by Bufamotis »

ASpitzer

• WKC Brave
Re: Saffa braai
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2024, 11:00:56 AM »
The DT on the vent is the date code for when it was made. I think DT = 2003. Looks like it cleaned up pretty well. Now it's time to get it dirty by cooking on it. Is it an 18" (47 cm) diameter? You got a lot of great accessories for it.
1957 Wood Dale Demo, MLH Mothership Ranch, 1980 Smokey Joe Black, 2014 Smokey Joe Black, 1992 Master Touch Green, 2022 Original Black, Glen Blue 26 in., 70th Anniversary Hot Rod Yellow