Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Continue to Struggle to Get Adequate Temps in Weber 26 Kettle  (Read 6045 times)

LuvtoGrill1974

• Smokey Joe
Continue to Struggle to Get Adequate Temps in Weber 26 Kettle
« on: October 24, 2023, 03:38:27 PM »
I posted about this one time before.  I am just at a loss why I struggle so badly to get temps up to 375-400 deg in the Weber 26" kettle.  Today I was making chicken kabobs and used a full chimney of Royal Oak Lump charcoal and tried spreading it out over 2/3rds of the charcoal grate to leave a little area of indirect heat. That wasn't even getting the kettle to 275-300 deg with all vents wide open (top and bottom).  I am wondering if small pieces of charcoal were falling prematurely blocking air flow with the bottom vents. I was able to get some pretty serious temps using the Slow and Sear making steaks a couple weeks ago.  If I try to distribute the heat across more grate area with the 26" kettle, a chimney full doesn't do it.  I usually use Kingsford Blue, but had an old bag of lump lying around.

Just HOW much charcoal is needed to get a 375-400 deg temp even across the grate area in this kettle?  It was approx 70 deg out and pretty windy.

I'm using a decent quality thermometer and use a Thermoworks Smoke at grate level if not doing direct heat cooks. I did not anticipate it to be so challenging to get grate temps to the levels I want.  I'm wondering if more than a chimney full is needed.  Any ideas?

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Continue to Struggle to Get Adequate Temps in Weber 26 Kettle
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2023, 05:50:48 PM »
Not sure if I replied before… For the 26” I have great success with the SNS XL paired with a DNG XL.  Can achieve low and slow or hot and fast with no problem.  Fill it up, use a quality charcoal and control with the vents - top vent opposite the SNS.  If it’s not hot n fast enough crack the lid a little.  I don’t use chimneys anymore, light with a tumbleweed or two and enjoy a beer while it comes up to temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 05:52:59 PM by bamakettles »

watkinsb87

• WKC Brave
Re: Continue to Struggle to Get Adequate Temps in Weber 26 Kettle
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2023, 07:37:29 AM »
I have the same set up but I don’t have the drip n griddle XL (yet!). I cover the open side of the charcoal grate with foil. When you have the vents wide open, The SNS XL gets the grill hot in a hurry. I put a layer of briquettes down at the bottom and light a 3/4 to a full chimney in for hot and fast.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2023, 11:26:54 AM »
I'm not so sure a single chimney would be enough to heat a 26r past 400 especially on a cool windy day. Maybe try dumping in two lit chimneys worth, and then spread it evenly across the charcoal grate. You can always choke it down if you need to and/or will get longer burn time.
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

LuvtoGrill1974

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2023, 07:35:14 PM »
I'm not so sure a single chimney would be enough to heat a 26r past 400 especially on a cool windy day. Maybe try dumping in two lit chimneys worth, and then spread it evenly across the charcoal grate. You can always choke it down if you need to and/or will get longer burn time.

I may try it next time.  I'm thinking at least a chimney and a half if I need to have high heat on a substantial portion of the grate.  If concentrated in one area for searing, this is not an issue.  I'll report back and let everyone know.

LuvtoGrill1974

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2023, 07:37:48 PM »
That is the perfect set-up.  I have the regular original SNS charcoal tray for 22 inch kettles.  Dropping $155 on the XL is a very difficult proposition.  I could buy a LOT of bags of charcoal with that money to get a little more fuel at one time.  I wish the price was more reasonable. I have no doubt the XL is best for that particular grill.  I think I paid $60 for the original SNS. 

Not sure if I replied before… For the 26” I have great success with the SNS XL paired with a DNG XL.  Can achieve low and slow or hot and fast with no problem.  Fill it up, use a quality charcoal and control with the vents - top vent opposite the SNS.  If it’s not hot n fast enough crack the lid a little.  I don’t use chimneys anymore, light with a tumbleweed or two and enjoy a beer while it comes up to temp.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2023, 01:13:20 PM »
I also use the SnS for the 22 to great success.  But, depending on what you are cooking, if you really want to get hot, I've got one word . . . Vortex !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna