Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Boneless Pork Shoulder - Kettle Rotisserie + Cast Iron  (Read 680 times)

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
Boneless Pork Shoulder - Kettle Rotisserie + Cast Iron
« on: April 09, 2023, 04:33:48 PM »
Boneless pork shoulders were on sale at the local grocery store so I bought a large one with the idea of having lots of leftovers.  Any chance to beat food inflation is welcome given how my employer just stiffed everyone with a 1.5% cost of living increase that doesn't remotely come close to the 5.3% national average.

I prepared the pork shoulder and the barbecue last night which gave it a good, long overnight and all day dry brine in the rub and made getting cooking started easy since all I had to do when I got home from work this evening was light the charcoal and put the roast on the rotisserie spit while it started up.

I also picked up a cauliflower with the idea of roasting it.  I cut off the leaves and the stem from the middle of the cauliflower's underside and made a butter/oil/garlic/salt/pepper/paprika sauce in a new 6.5 inch Lodge skillet and covered the cauliflower with it once it was in an enamelled cast iron roasting pan.

The pork's ready to come in and start resting while I simmer up some gravy in that enamelled cast iron pot as the cauliflower finishes roasting.  I've got some leftover scalloped potatoes and sauteed mushrooms to go with it, and I'll tack on a followup post once everythign is ready.

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
Re: Boneless Pork Shoulder - Kettle Rotisserie + Cast Iron
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2023, 06:44:32 PM »

Roast cauliflower's out of the oven and the sauce is coming along.

The pork roast after carving.  The nibbly bits during carving were to die for.

I made the sauteed mushrooms and scalloped potatoes a couple of days ago so I'm eating leftovers of these now but I thought I'd add pictures from when I cooked them for completeness.

Dinner before and after adding the sauce.  It was delicious.  Kettle + rotisserie + five pieces of cast iron all told at various times for the sides.

OkieGirl

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2023, 04:12:49 AM »
That plate looks wonderful.
I've always cooked bone-in pork butts, now I wonder what I've been missing. :-)
I will definitely have to give that cauliflower a try.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2023, 04:20:38 AM »
Awesome looking food right there, I'd put on my crown and eat like a king
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2023, 04:28:57 AM »
That all looks delicious.

I almost never venture out of my comfort zone of smoking butts for pulled pork, but this has me interested!
How long was the butt on the grill?
Charcoal arrangement/amount?
What temp did you cook the butt to?

Thx.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

A bunch of black kettles
-JC

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2023, 05:11:54 AM »
Wow, that's an amazing cook right there..... Love the idea of doing this rotisserie style and the sides look incredible.  We've been looking for more ways to prepare cauliflower.  Thanks for sharing!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2023, 06:10:23 AM »
It all looks incredible. Nice work.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2023, 07:47:51 AM »
Thanks for the kind words everyone.  The food turned out beautifully and the leftovers helped out with having lots of satisfying meals on the work nights after this.

That all looks delicious.

I almost never venture out of my comfort zone of smoking butts for pulled pork, but this has me interested!
How long was the butt on the grill?
Charcoal arrangement/amount?
What temp did you cook the butt to?

Thx.

The pork was on the rotisserie about two and a quarter hours until the charcoal was pretty much exhausted.  I took the internal temperature up as high as it went, about 170, to let the meat tenderize as much as possible.  Basically, this was the lowest, slowest rotisserie cook I could do with the idea of having a succulent, tender roast at the end.  It was tender but definitely not pulled pork fall apart.

That plate looks wonderful.
I've always cooked bone-in pork butts, now I wonder what I've been missing. :-)
I will definitely have to give that cauliflower a try.

Wow, that's an amazing cook right there..... Love the idea of doing this rotisserie style and the sides look incredible.  We've been looking for more ways to prepare cauliflower.  Thanks for sharing!

The cauliflower recipe I used was a variation of this one here:

https://www.lowcarbspark.com/whole-roasted-cauliflower/#Ingredients_1x2x3x

I left out the cheese because I didn't have any on hand and I'm not a big Parmesan fan and I did add a bit of paprika to give a bit of colour.  The recipe says to bake the cauliflower under cover for half an hour and then take the cover off for another 10-20 minutes but I found those cooking times to be short.  Even with extra time my cauliflower was a bit underdone and the times they give are short compared to other similar recipes out there except for the ones that call for boiling the cauliflower ahead of time so that it something to watch out for if you try that recipe.  The next time I make it, I'll probably be baking under cover for closer to an hour before unwrapping it.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2023, 04:03:05 PM »
Food all looks excellent!

Wish I had some of those scalloped potatoes / mushrooms in front of me right now!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E