Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How Accurate is a Weber Hood Thermometer??? Surprise Below  (Read 552 times)

briano52

• Smokey Joe
How Accurate is a Weber Hood Thermometer??? Surprise Below
« on: October 21, 2022, 10:34:57 PM »
We all have read many times on this forum, on Amazin' Ribs and elsewhere that factory thermometers are not reliable. It has been drilled into our brains so often that we think nothing of shelling out big bucks for TelTru, Thermowerks and other premium thermometers. So, I thought I would test the lid thermometer on my Weber Performer Gen 2 2005 that has been used a lot since I bought it new. I pulled off the thermometer and placed the probe into boiling water. To my great surprise, it read dead on at 212 degrees!!! I repeated the test several times and each test read 212.
Now, I don't mean to bash the need premium thermometers, I own many and rely on them. The Thermowerks with cable probes are wonderful for checking temps at various levels and various places in my cookers. But I have newfound faith in my the Weber factory thermometer. Check yours and let us know how accurate it is. It would be fun to get a few samples for reference points and discussion.
Brian's Cookers: PK360, Weber Performer, Weber q 1000, Weber q 1200, Kat Vault smoker, MAK pellet grill, Twin Eagle gasser and 5 Minuti wood pizza oven. Thermowerks temp probes and Thermowerks controller and fan

Chesapeake Weber

• WKC Brave
Re: How Accurate is a Weber Hood Thermometer??? Surprise Below
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2022, 04:28:21 AM »
Good to know.  I always thought the issue had more to do with location of the thermometer in the grill lid rather than at grill / food level.  Still good to know what they are reading is at least a reasonably accurate temp.  Just need to understand what it is representing in the grill.  Thanks briano52

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
How Accurate is a Weber Hood Thermometer??? Surprise Below
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2022, 04:46:10 AM »
This is from last week’s cook - two pork butts on my Summit.  Temps didn’t match 100% of the time, but they were usually close.  ThermoWorks probe was at grate level.  There’s usually quite a difference on my 22” WSM.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2022, 06:52:11 AM »
I believe they’re pretty accurate.   I think it has to do with location more than anything.   

After all, this isn’t a tightly controlled science experiment, it’s backyard bbq using charcoal and usually decades old steel saucers meant to be buoys.  I believe [mention]JEBIV [/mention] once said we should concern ourselves more with the temperature of our cocktail than the grill sometimes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rich

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2022, 02:02:14 PM »
JEBIV sounds wise beyond his years.

When I light up a grill for the first time, I like to place an oven thermometer so I can compare with the lid therm.
I feel confident that grill is 50° less than dome. What to do with that info is up to the grill master :)

Stoneage

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2022, 12:13:44 PM »
I had 2 Weber lid thermometers, they were almost 30℉ apart in very close proximity (1" or less) to each other in a constant & even environment at 350℉.
I didn't splurge huge amounts of money, but I did buy an adjustable calibration dial thermometer for about 20 bucks on E-bay!
then I calibrated it to my existing guaranteed +/- 0.5℉ infrared unit I already owned.

bigjeffb

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2022, 09:50:01 PM »
the inaccuracy and unreliability comes from the fact that dome temp will be higher than grate temp.
and the indicated dome temp will be influenced by where it is in relation to your coal bed.
for example, the lid thermometer on my OTG sits 90 degrees to the lid vent.  so more often than not, it is reading the dome temp right between the coals and the vent.
when i rotate my lid so the thermometer is right above where i have the probe on my grates, they are usually less than 50 degrees apart.
"I'm not a pit master, and I'm not a chef. I'm just a guy who manages not to burn food."

Stoneage

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2022, 11:29:14 AM »
The 30℉ difference was recorded in an evenly heated box with lots of air circulation to have it even as possible.
I don't think that positioning, because the probes were as close to each other as it was possible to get, or coals position because there were no coals just an electric fan blower/heater running through baffles.
Further supporting evidence is that the new accurate one was in the same hole used for the old inaccurate one.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 11:30:51 AM by Stoneage »

MoparProud

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2022, 11:31:13 AM »
They’re pretty accurate and close enough for almost everything. People get too wrapped up in temp

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2022, 05:30:30 AM »
I use my finger tips. If I touch the lid and burn my fingers instantly then I’m at grilling temp. If I can hold for three seconds then I’m at smoking temp.

briano52

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2022, 09:33:31 PM »
Hi All
  Thanks for the thoughtful replies. And yes, the temp in the dome of the kettle can be very different than the temp down on the grate. In my OP I was only trying to compare apples to apples. The original dial Weber I tested with the boiling water was accurate, better than expected. That means it is registering accurately where it is located (ie on the kettle lid). The temp on the grate is likely different than in the kettle lid. I use thermowerks probes on the grate and they are closer to my meat than the kettle dial thermometer. I don't obsess over temps. I have found that close is good enough for the kind of work that I do. Consistency is the key thing with temp management. Use the same method for checking your temps cook to cook.. If you don't get the result you want, adjust your temp next cook but keep using the same thermometer(s) to keep things consistent.
Brian's Cookers: PK360, Weber Performer, Weber q 1000, Weber q 1200, Kat Vault smoker, MAK pellet grill, Twin Eagle gasser and 5 Minuti wood pizza oven. Thermowerks temp probes and Thermowerks controller and fan