Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Offset SJ - Requesting Opinions  (Read 516 times)

OkieGirl

• WKC Brave
Offset SJ - Requesting Opinions
« on: September 12, 2022, 10:39:00 AM »
This sage Smokey Joe has cleaned up really well, but the legs are not very pretty.
I had decided to paint them, either flat or satin black - but I am hesitant.

What do you all think?  From what I can tell in the old catalogs, it seems they were originally black.
Is there any reason I should not paint them?

The last picture shows what they looked like before I cleaned them.  Not much difference.  :-\

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Offset SJ - Requesting Opinions
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2022, 10:45:06 AM »
Nice little kettle..... whether you paint them or not, that rust will need to come off.  I've had good results with a dremmel and small wire wheel, although if you keep it outside the rust will return.  I'd make the call on painting after you get them as rust free as possible.  $.02

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2022, 11:02:40 AM »
the originals were painted, like a flat black
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

OkieGirl

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2022, 02:19:25 PM »
Okay I'll try the Dremel then. Thanks.

That's what this one looks like, but I couldn't tell if the black was flat, or just old.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2022, 02:51:26 PM »
Soak the legs in Evapo rust.
Then paint them.
No need to dremel them.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2022, 03:17:45 PM »
I tried evaporust on a triangle and a set of grates and it did nothing for me.  Apparently it works for some….  Pricey, but worth a shot I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2022, 06:23:39 PM »
I tried evaporust on a triangle and a set of grates and it did nothing for me.  Apparently it works for some….  Pricey, but worth a shot I guess.

Did you immerse the triangle and grates completely?  I usually mechanically remove some of the bad rust then soak at least 24 hours using a hot water heater drip pan. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2022, 06:51:30 PM »
I don't believe these were originally painted as delivered from Weber.  I have a couple of New Old Stock Off-Set SJ's and the finish appears to be similar to a black oxide coating or "bluing" as it's referred to on a barrel of a gun. I would post a pic of it, but a pic just looks like black paint in a photo, but does not appear to be paint in real life.

Having said this, I don't know where this leaves someone if they are truly looking to do a "correct" restoration on the legs of these cookers.

BTW, that is a VERY nice SJ!
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

OkieGirl

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2022, 02:56:18 AM »
Good info, Saxart, thanks for your input.
I'd like to make the legs look nicer, but don't want to ruin any potential value, even though I plan to keep it.

Sometime ago, I had wrapped the legs with EvapoRust soaked paper towels, but I didn't leave it anywhere near as long as recommended by Michael. I will revisit that.

And thank you!

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2022, 05:26:17 AM »

Did you immerse the triangle and grates completely?  I usually mechanically remove some of the bad rust then soak at least 24 hours using a hot water heater drip pan. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bought a water heater overflow pan and connection to cap the drain hole along with a $25 bottle of Evaporust.  Then I put a rusty triangle, cooking grate, charcoal grate and SS ash sweeps, handle, thumbscrew and center nut assembly in for about 2 days.  After not seeing much difference in the grates and triangle I removed them and put the rest in a smaller container and continued to soak for maybe a week.  The sweeps came out ok but the other parts were basically black.  IDK, maybe user error - but I thought it would do more for the triangle and grates.  I ended up using a soft metal dremel grinding brush on the triangle and it worked great and has on many others I've restored.  I think I threw the grates in the trash.

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2022, 01:22:45 PM »
Mine were fugly when I started working on mine. I think I went Satin or semi gloss. Here's a few pics.