Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Odd smoking question.  (Read 269 times)

Stoneage

• WKC Brave
Odd smoking question.
« on: October 05, 2022, 11:18:15 AM »
I previously had a steel, painted, offset smoker. Over the years it built up a really nice "crust of smoke" flavor.
Now I have the Webber with the Cajun Bandit smoker/riser. Also (but not used for smoking) a C.B. roti.

I cleaned the grille & bottom of the old offset barrel to keep the very flavorful coating of smoke from previous cooks. Having smoked in the Webber for a couple of years the much thinner coating formed is separating & falling off as a "skin".
Does anyone know of a "Cunning Plan" to somehow keep the coating stuck to the enamel?
Thanks.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 11:19:47 AM by Stoneage »

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Re: Odd smoking question.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2022, 04:16:00 AM »
Porcelain enamel doesn’t actually need seasoning like bare metal.  If seasoning it is your preference, using a water pan when you smoke, will build up a lot of coating.  I had a Weber Smokey mountain cooker for many years and for the first few years I used it as intended: a water smoker.   The moist air helps the smoke and grease to adhere to the enamel.  This may or may not work as well with the Cajun bandit SS kit. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stoneage

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2022, 08:57:18 AM »
I'm not really talking about "seasoning" so much as I am about getting the seasoning (which I get plenty of as I use water regularly) but getting it to stay in place so it builds up.
I really do notice a difference in the level of the unique combination of all my other smokes to permeate the food I'm cooking today.

briano52

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2022, 08:19:20 PM »
When your cooker lid is peeling back in petals, it is because of buildup of un-fully burned smoke compounds, including creosote. When you see the peeling, it is past time to scrape the lid clean. If you doubt this, take a bite of the material that is peeling back. Be prepared to spit it out quickly and to rinse your mouth. There are no compounds that accumulate on the lid that you want in your food.
Brian's Cookers: PK360, Weber Performer, Weber q 1000, Weber q 1200, Kat Vault smoker, MAK pellet grill, Twin Eagle gasser and 5 Minuti wood pizza oven. Thermowerks temp probes and Thermowerks controller and fan