Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Springtime Table Project  (Read 569 times)

bigjeffb

• WKC Brave
Springtime Table Project
« on: April 10, 2022, 07:43:27 PM »
So now that pinewood derby season is officially over, Little Man and I got to work on the next project.
It started as a table for a BGE that I got for free off Marketplace.
We widened the hole from 21" to fit the kettle.
Scrubbed, sanded, then scrubbed again. We got all the stains out using a gallon of hot water, about 1/4 cup dish soap and a cup of Oxiclean. Scrubbed it on, let it sit for 20 minutes before hosing it off.
Let it sit in the garage with a fan drying it out for 48 hours before smoothing any rough spots with 240 grit.
Then, we had to move the shelf to the bottom to accommodate the ash catcher. I haven't checked yet, but we may be able to stand it up now inside the table instead of suspending it. And today we threw on a coat of Olympic Sequoia Red sealer. Gonna let this dry for a while before hauling it back out and firing it up. But before then we just gotta grab some casters.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

"I'm not a pit master, and I'm not a chef. I'm just a guy who manages not to burn food."

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Springtime Table Project
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2022, 03:31:14 AM »
Table looks awesome, and the family bonding time with your son is priceless
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2022, 05:55:30 AM »
Agree, looks great and so cool (and fun) to involve your son in the project.  Reminds me of our Saltwater Reef tank hobby when my son was a freshman in High School.  Now he works with Beluga Whales at the Mystic Aquarium in Connecticut after working at the Georgia Aquarium, Discovery Cove (Dolphin Trainer) and the Tampa Zoo.  You never know what might spark an interest for these guys!

stillgriller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2022, 07:21:18 AM »
Agree, looks great and so cool (and fun) to involve your son in the project.  Reminds me of our Saltwater Reef tank hobby when my son was a freshman in High School.  Now he works with Beluga Whales at the Mystic Aquarium in Connecticut after working at the Georgia Aquarium, Discovery Cove (Dolphin Trainer) and the Tampa Zoo.  You never know what might spark an interest for these guys!
Haven’t been to Mystic in at least 10 years, but I went a few times as a kid, that’s a fun place.

That table looks great. What kettle are you putting in it?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 07:24:15 AM by stillgriller »
Happiness is found under the lid of a charcoal grill.

bigjeffb

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2022, 02:21:26 PM »
Never updated the thread, but here she is! Little Man was insistent that the crimson OTG call it home.

"I'm not a pit master, and I'm not a chef. I'm just a guy who manages not to burn food."

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2022, 02:25:27 PM »

Never updated the thread, but here she is! Little Man was insistent that the crimson OTG call it home.

Love it!  Being from Alabama, I gotta say I like the crimson, although I’m an Auburn fan.[emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

502BBQ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2022, 07:13:12 PM »

Little Man (and Dad) nailed it! That looks great.