Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: grates and flavorizer for weber spirit 300?  (Read 3268 times)

ohen

• Smokey Joe
grates and flavorizer for weber spirit 300?
« on: April 22, 2022, 10:27:13 AM »
Hi:
I have a Weber Spirit 300(?) that's nearly 15 years old now, it's the one with 3 burners before they reduced it to two.  I've done a couple deep cleanings of the unit, replaced the flavorizer bars same time as the grates maybe 4-5 times with whatever stock was at the box stores.  I'm coastal so they go pretty quick.  It was originally a propane unit, but I converted it to nat gas when I moved, this house has a port outside.

The f.bars and grates are badly rusted and corroded now, should've replaced them a couple years ago.  This time I kind of feel like doing something better, as I'd like to do more than spatchcock chicken and roasted beets - I mostly use the grill as an outdoor oven to roast, and when I roast, have a custom stainless "pan".  The grates are rarely used, but mostly because they were a pain to deal with.

I've found f.bars on ebay that are a heavier gauge, similar price.  So I'll likely do that, unless there are better options?  Part of me wants to go to IMS, pick up some stainless sheets and just bend them myself.

The grates are a different matter.  I'm torn, whether to go with heavy duty stainless steel or the aluminum grillgrate stuff.   I'm leaning towards stainless, especially if I can find USA made stuff.  It would be nice to get something I don't have to replace every 3-4 years.

The stainless "pan" I have was a failed venture by a family friend.  You could slide it back and forth to reveal/hide slats that would to allow for direct or indirect heat.  Works pretty darn well for spatchcock chicken.

Thoughts?  Opinions?  Recommendations?

Many thanks :)