Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Bone in Rib Roast  (Read 181 times)

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
Bone in Rib Roast
« on: February 17, 2022, 05:58:09 AM »
First for a bone-in Rib Roast. It was pretty good. Did not get photos of it sliced, but a near perfect medium rare.
Gave some to the neighbors…they loved it!

« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 06:32:41 AM by TXFlyGuy »
2021 Bluebonnet Brewoff Winner
1st Place Gold Medal - Munich Helles
1st Place Gold Medal - Oktoberfest

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Bone in Rib Roast
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2022, 06:16:59 AM »
Looks really good, one of my favorite cooks.  What was your method?  Rotisserie?  Seasonings? Time and temp?  I love the details lol.....

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2022, 06:23:16 AM »
That looks really good !
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2022, 06:41:09 AM »
Looks really good, one of my favorite cooks.  What was your method?  Rotisserie?  Seasonings? Time and temp?  I love the details lol.....

This was a 12 lb roast, normal price was $188, on sale for $78!
I did a snake method with B&B Charcoal, and used mesquite chunks. 5 1/2 hours at 260-270F. My Thermoworks Smoke temp probe showed 125, which was my pull target. But when other parts were probed with my Thermopen, it showed 140! Way over my desired temp.

But most of the center was perfect medium rare / medium.

My neighbor gave us 5 jars of BBQ rubs / seasonings. The one I used was Dickie's Old Town Market Famous Rub. It is mostly salt / black pepper, with other seasonings.

I just placed the roast bone side down on the original Weber grate. The last time we did a Rib Roast, it was on the rotisserie.

edit: So we gave our neighbor two thick slices, for her birthday. We also made some sour cream & horseradish dipping sauce. Greg and Maureen were going to cut one piece in half, and share it for dinner. After one bite, they decided not to share and they devoured both slices!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 06:44:55 AM by TXFlyGuy »

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2022, 06:50:52 AM »
Thanks for the details, looks amazing.  Lucky neighbors!

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2022, 07:52:16 AM »
Thanks for the details, looks amazing.  Lucky neighbors!

We always share with the neighbors, ribs, brisket, steaks, etc. They want me to open a BBQ restaurant!

What was shocking is the snake was a double row of charcoal on the base, and upper layer was a single row. It was built around 50% of the kettle. It did take some time to reach the smoking temp of 220, perhaps 30 minutes.
After 5 1/2 hours, 1/3 of the snake was not burned. It could have easily smoked for another 2 hours.

B&B is the king of low & slow. Also, did this cook on my daily driver, the ‘79 Cooker with the triple daisy wheel intakes.