Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Jumbo Joe meats Rib Eye!  (Read 233 times)

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
Jumbo Joe meats Rib Eye!
« on: December 29, 2021, 05:28:45 PM »
These are two choice rib eyes, pulled from our freezer.
36 hours dry aging, then seasoned with Lawry's Salt and fresh ground pepper. I cannot tell you how much dry aging helps the steaks!
They were very tender, and very tasty! Pulled off the grill at 128 F.

2021 Bluebonnet Brewoff Winner
1st Place Gold Medal - Munich Helles
1st Place Gold Medal - Oktoberfest

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Re: Jumbo Joe meats Rib Eye!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 06:24:55 AM »
Nice ribeyes.  The JJ is such a capable little cooker. 

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2021, 06:28:14 AM »
Those look really good.  I'm dry aging a rib roast now for New Year's - one week in 3 layers of cheesecloth.  I'll have to try dry aging some ribeyes I have frozen after we get through all that prime rib... Jumbo Joes are fun to cook on for sure!

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 07:12:13 AM »
Thanks! I need to start using my Jumbo Joe more often. I have the new rotisserie for it, and want to do a chicken or a roast.

It is a perfect size for two rib eyes. Plenty of room for direct hot grilling, and then pull to the cool side for finishing up.

It is also the perfect size for grilling veggies, in a Weber Grilling Basket!

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2021, 07:15:00 AM »
Those look really good.  I'm dry aging a rib roast now for New Year's - one week in 3 layers of cheesecloth.  I'll have to try dry aging some ribeyes I have frozen after we get through all that prime rib... Jumbo Joes are fun to cook on for sure!

These were dry aged for 36 hours. I think you can go 48 hours if you like. No cloth used, just placed them on a cookie cooling rack (pictured) and then put it on an upper shelf in the fridge.

We think it makes a huge difference in flavor, and tenderness. If it did not work, the high dollar steak houses would not do it!

Easy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2021, 07:20:49 AM »
Very indeed.

These were dry aged for 36 hours. I think you can go 48 hours if you like. No cloth used, just placed them on a cookie cooling rack (pictured) and then put it on an upper shelf in the fridge.

We think it makes a huge difference in flavor, and tenderness. If it did not work, the high dollar steak houses would not do it!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Veekz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2021, 11:53:06 AM »
Great job on those steaks. I absolutely prefer the flavor of dry aged beef. I do a similar age in the fridge for about 3 days with steaks usually with a salt brine. I have done prime ribs this way as well with the cheesecloth. It always improves flavor imo. Yours turned out great!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2021, 01:08:57 PM »
Great job on those steaks. I absolutely prefer the flavor of dry aged beef. I do a similar age in the fridge for about 3 days with steaks usually with a salt brine. I have done prime ribs this way as well with the cheesecloth. It always improves flavor imo. Yours turned out great!

We have seasoned the steaks prior to dry aging before, but lately held off on the salt & pepper until about 2 hours before grilling time.

48 hours has been my longest time.

Looked at an article on America's Test Kitchen that went deep into this subject. Suffice it to say that the tenderness and flavor enhancement of the beef is a direct result of decomposition of the cells. It can and will get very "gamey" if left too long.

Veekz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2021, 05:03:08 PM »

We have seasoned the steaks prior to dry aging before, but lately held off on the salt & pepper until about 2 hours before grilling time.

48 hours has been my longest time.

Looked at an article on America's Test Kitchen that went deep into this subject. Suffice it to say that the tenderness and flavor enhancement of the beef is a direct result of decomposition of the cells. It can and will get very "gamey" if left too long.
I actually meant larger roasts I would dry brine in the fridge for 3 days. Thick steaks would usually be overnight.  I did find steaks would be a little too “cured” or salty when aging for several days.

I do agree with ATT’s findings that prolonged aging can cause off flavors or gaminess as you stated. I will try your method with 36-48 hours on my steaks next time. Salting maybe a day before cooking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk