Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Summit 450 SS  (Read 756 times)

whaascarson

• Smokey Joe
Summit 450 SS
« on: December 27, 2021, 06:35:14 PM »
Just picked up a 2008 Summit 450 SS, for free! As far as I can tell the only thing absolutely needed are new knobs. The valves are really sticky and the igniters don’t work. I can get a brand new manifold which includes all the valves and individual igniters for $200. Should I just do that rather than pulling the valves apart and cleaning them. The manifold comes with new knobs which are kind of expensive by themselves. Thanks!
1989 Weber Kettle 22"

dazzo

• WKC Performer
Re: Summit 450 SS
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2021, 09:03:10 PM »
Time is money etc etc

For the type of machine it is, I believe it would be 200 well spent if you can swing it. Spend the time shining it up.

But then again if you have the drive and the time, making everything work can be it’s own reward

Been there done that, but today I’d replace the parts.

Dude, relax your chicken.

whaascarson

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2021, 06:23:11 AM »
Thanks Dazzo. I’ve gone through that process on an old redhead genesis and don’t have the time for 6 burners. I ordered the manifold and look forward to the function being pretty much brand new. Any recommendations on these baked on grease stains for stainless?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
1989 Weber Kettle 22"

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2021, 08:30:26 AM »
I don’t have experience with that much buildup on stainless

And with that said, maybe start with a grease cutter (simple green, dawn?) to see if it helps before getting too aggressive with sanding the stainless

Maybe someone has some other suggestions

I’ve always admired the Summits
Dude, relax your chicken.

kcsmokinribs

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2022, 05:44:27 AM »
I agree with the suggestion of using Simple Green or Dawn to help lift up the grease. I would pull the food grates and soak them in a solution of SG or Dawn in a Rubbermaid tub while using #0000 steel Wool on the outside of the grill and in the cabinet. It should clean up well. Good luck and send more pictures when done.

whaascarson

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2022, 05:01:56 AM »
New manifold and knobs came in yesterday. Can’t wait to get it cleaned up and ready to roll. Thanks for all the suggestions. I’ll post before and after pics when I’m done with it.

Does everyone find the rotisserie to be beneficial? Seems like a lot of mess/moving parts to something I could do basically the same spatchcocking and direct grilling.

I have the motor and mounts but not the spit. I’ve never rotisseried at home before.

1989 Weber Kettle 22"

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2022, 05:21:00 AM »
I've not used my rotisserie on the gasser yet that I got last year, but I want to try it.  Love love love rotisserie on my kettle, so maybe it would be comparable on a gas grill.  I'm wondering if a drip pan while keeping things clean will limit grilled flavor - no drippings on the flavorizer bars.

1MoreFord

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2022, 03:03:49 PM »
If you use steel wool make sure it's stainless steel.  You don't want to imbed any carbon steel into the SS.  It will rust if you do.  If you can't find stainless wool look for some brass or copper wool.
Joe

Falcon MK V gas grill, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG,  Weber 22" OTG

whaascarson

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2022, 04:17:18 AM »
Finished for now. New manifold and knobs. It’s too cold to really get after it right now in Montana. I’m hesitant to order new doors, they’re like $150 each side through Weber. It’ll be my primary sear station used with the camp chef woodwind. Great setup in my opinion. I might end up taking both side tables off and doing a built in to help cover the front with something removable. Thanks for the help!

1989 Weber Kettle 22"

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2022, 05:44:36 AM »
Looks really nice!

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2022, 05:50:33 AM »
Looks good even without doors !
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

whaascarson

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2022, 08:05:57 AM »
Any ideas for doors or cover that don’t involve buying them from Weber? Thinking wood slats or something. Maybe a SS sheet and magnets to sit on the frame?

1989 Weber Kettle 22"

whaascarson

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2022, 09:00:37 AM »
This thing is a workhorse. The heck with the doors. Who cares I’m cooking on this like crazy. Incredibly even cooking, no flare ups or hot spots. Certainly worth the higher price point IMO compared to genesis and spirit models. I’d never cooked on the SS grates, they are a huge upgrade. I can leave the GrillGrates on my pellet cooker.

1989 Weber Kettle 22"

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2022, 10:26:31 AM »
This thing is a workhorse. The heck with the doors. Who cares I’m cooking on this like crazy. Incredibly even cooking, no flare ups or hot spots. Certainly worth the higher price point IMO compared to genesis and spirit models. I’d never cooked on the SS grates, they are a huge upgrade. I can leave the GrillGrates on my pellet cooker.

Glad you're enjoying it!  We don't see many gas grill cooks on here, maybe you could share a few cooks with the club?  I enjoy cooking on our older gas Webers as well - my wife actually prefers it and would love to see some inspiring successful cooks.  I got a rotisserie for mine and am thinking about doing a chicken soon on my 90s Genesis.

whaascarson

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2022, 12:53:10 PM »
Final product. New gas manifold. New knobs, Ditched the knob bezels (way easier to use). New doors and handles. Cleaned it up and good as new. You’re right, it’s a real work horse. Shout out to Weber, when I ordered the doors they didn’t mention I needed to order handles separately. When I called back to order the handles and ask for free shipping, they comped the handles and rushed shipping.

1989 Weber Kettle 22"