Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Tomahawk Thursday. First cook with the SNS  (Read 251 times)

Veekz

• Smokey Joe
Tomahawk Thursday. First cook with the SNS
« on: October 28, 2021, 09:44:49 PM »
After much anticipation, I finally did my first cook with the SNS and learned a few things in the process. I  decided to go with some Prime Rib Tomahawks as it was a featured cut at my local Safeway.

Things I learned and observed:

1. SNS provides an excellent 2-zone cooking area and keeps my coals hot and steady for a VERY long time.

2. It might be best to keep the water trough in place even if you don’t add water. Not sure if it would help, but I found my temps in the 350 range without the trough. Maybe I need to use less coals too.

3. If you plan to use the cold-grate sear method for thick steaks, do one at a time. I see where that spinner grate comes in handy here. Especially when searing 2 or more steaks. Turning the grate with two large steaks on can be a bit daunting and left one steak more charred than I was hoping for.

4. I also found it not necessary to top off coals for the sear stage. Adding a few coals to halfway in basket is sufficient imo.

All in all it was still a great cook. Everyone seemed to be pleased with the results. I’m still sorta new to cooking on the kettle, but I’m having fun learning and experimenting with all the new tools out there. I’ve been cooking most of my life, but grilling and bbq has been a real passion of mine lately. I appreciate any input or tips you guys can share with me. Ive learned so much from the WKC site already!

The SNS is definitely a tool worth investing in and works as advertised. My only disappointment is I missed the recent weekend sale. [emoji37][emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
Re: Tomahawk Thursday. First cook with the SNS
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 09:51:08 PM »
Looks like perfection to me. Well done I will be doing a maiden voyage on my master touch, once my sns gets here.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Veekz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 09:56:44 PM »
Looks like perfection to me. Well done I will be doing a maiden voyage on my master touch, once my sns gets here.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Sounds like a plan. Thanks! [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 03:56:50 AM »
Those look perfect in every way !!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 05:36:33 AM »
Wow, looks really good and wonderful pictures! 

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2021, 05:51:49 AM »
Nice work!  The SnS will not disappoint for high heat searing.

Easy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2021, 05:51:54 PM »
Great cook, meat looks so perfect.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app