Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Question on lid bail and chipped porcelain  (Read 262 times)

DaGoomba

• WKC Brave
Question on lid bail and chipped porcelain
« on: October 29, 2021, 04:02:17 PM »
Just purchase a limited edition red kettle and noticed a couple of things.

1) the lid bail looks kinda thin or maybe bent.. is this normal? It doesn’t seem to allow the lid to sit down further like my older performer grill lid bail did.

2) found this defect on porcelain, any tips on touching up or just reach out to Weber?

Thanks!

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Question on lid bail and chipped porcelain
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 04:53:05 PM »
Looks like it fell over backward, bent the bail and chipped the porcelain.  Looks like an accident, not a defect.  Not sure they cover that under warranty.  I’d bend it back to normal shape and cook on…..

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

DaGoomba

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 04:56:33 PM »
Looks like it fell over backward, bent the bail and chipped the porcelain.  Looks like an accident, not a defect.  Not sure they cover that under warranty.  I’d bend it back to normal shape and cook on…..

Ohhh it was a floor display and that makes sense… I’ll try to bend back… thanks Bama!

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 04:58:49 PM »

Ohhh it was a floor display and that makes sense… I’ll try to bend back… thanks Bama!
I’d put a little canola on that bowl chip and cook away.  Those areas tend to stay nice and oily anyway.  Shouldn’t be any problem.  Good luck!

DaGoomba

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 05:13:07 PM »

I’d put a little canola on that bowl chip and cook away.  Those areas tend to stay nice and oily anyway.  Shouldn’t be any problem.  Good luck!

Thanks for the tip.
For the lid bail I’m actually going to replace the bail with part #65188. It’s a wider lid bail that I’ve seen on some other threads and it allows the lid to sit 90 degrees to the bowl. I like that better.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 05:15:17 PM by DaGoomba »

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2021, 05:40:27 PM »

Thanks for the tip.
For the lid bail I’m actually going to replace the bail with part #65188. It’s a wider lid bail that I’ve seen on some other threads and it allows the lid to sit 90 degrees to the bowl. I like that better.
Sounds good.  I did that upgrade on two OTPs I have, mainly because I’m left handed and the lids got in my way when cooking… still do a little, but better with the large bails - doesn’t really bother me on the master touch with bail on the back..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaGoomba

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2021, 05:46:56 PM »

Thanks for the tip.
Sounds good.  I did that upgrade on two OTPs I have, mainly because I’m left handed and the lids got in my way when cooking… still do a little, but better with the large bails - doesn’t really bother me on the master touch with bail on the back..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow very nice looking performer! Well done and I like the custom bail rollers.

DaGoomba

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2021, 07:24:08 AM »

Hey Bama, another thing I just found is that the part of the bowl itself that had the chipped porcelain look like it is not completely round (out of round) when you have the lid on it. There’s a small gap between where the lid sits and the bowl lip is compared to the rest of the bowl and lid. Seems like something happened in shipping or something. I’m going to call Weber and see if they can help at all. I was putting a fiber gasket on the lid anyway to help seal in smoke so that might help with the gap area.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2021, 08:13:40 AM »
Both of my blue OTPs are that way, have to actually press down on the lids to get them to close all the way and there are small gaps.  I bought both of them used, and it doesn’t bother me or the cooks on them really.  All of my vintage kettle lids and bowls fit perfectly and seal well, but most of the vents don’t seal well lol….Ah well, fire needs air…..

DaGoomba

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2021, 08:39:47 AM »
Both of my blue OTPs are that way, have to actually press down on the lids to get them to close all the way and there are small gaps.  I bought both of them used, and it doesn’t bother me or the cooks on them really.  All of my vintage kettle lids and bowls fit perfectly and seal well, but most of the vents don’t seal well lol….Ah well, fire needs air…..

Ah ok here’s a closer look. I did pull the bail out to bend it back as you recommended.