Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Warped lid  (Read 279 times)

butterybenihana

• Smokey Joe
Warped lid
« on: September 12, 2021, 06:19:40 PM »
Anyone have a good way to reshape the lid? this is for a 1986 22" kettle. What about adding a gasket seal or something similar around the rim? I would like to be able to use it for low and slow cooks.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Re: Warped lid
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2021, 06:26:00 PM »
First thing I’d try is give it a “hug,” gently bending the lid in the direction it needs adjustment.

If that doesn’t work, two office binder clips on opposite sides works  great.  See picture.  This is my preferred route.  Most of my older kettles are slightly warped.

I have also used lava lock gaskets with success.  You’ll need to clean the lid very well to get good adhesion. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stillgriller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2021, 06:37:39 PM »
I just had to do this on a new lid that was out of round and would not even fit on the bowl. I removed the handle and rested the lid upside down (since you can’t remove your lid handle, you’ll have to improvise, using a towel on what ever surface you use). I Used a tape measure to check edge-to-edge from 12 o’clock, to 6, then from 3 o’clock to 9. Gave it a gentle squeeze on the wider of the two measurements, it doesn’t take much pressure at all, and checked it again. Repeated. Got those two measurements even, then turned it 45 degrees and did it again. That did the trick. Check the bowl as well. Hope this helps and good luck.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 06:48:44 PM by stillgriller »
Happiness is found under the lid of a charcoal grill.

butterybenihana

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2021, 07:37:25 PM »
Thank you, I will try the squeeze method! If I do end up needing lava lock would you suggest putting it on the bowl or lid side?

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 03:45:15 AM »
Thank you, I will try the squeeze method! If I do end up needing lava lock would you suggest putting it on the bowl or lid side?
Lid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stillgriller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 12:12:50 PM »
If you ‘hug’ it too much, it won’t fit on the bowl, I found that out the hard way. Might be better to stretch the shorter measurement, gently of course. If there is any crackling sounds…I’d stop.
Happiness is found under the lid of a charcoal grill.