Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Royal Oak charcoal  (Read 1238 times)

mojo1254

• Happy Cooker
Re: Royal Oak charcoal
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2021, 02:02:34 PM »
Update on this issue I just got a bag and its completely fine but I did get atleast 3 in a row that wasn't

Sent from my SM-G998U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2021, 03:42:53 PM »
Kingsford pro is a good deal at Costco. Kbb is very reliable and I’ve never noticed any extraordinary smells. I guess that’s subjective.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

mojo1254

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2021, 03:54:13 PM »
I'll give Kingsford pro a shot, I'm not against trying new things

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2021, 03:57:03 AM »
Trying new things is wise with BBQ. That's why we tried B&B, and stopped using Kingsford. We are 100% sold on B&B products. And they are a Texan company.

There are some who use Royal Oak all the time, Malcolm Reed or one.
2021 Bluebonnet Brewoff Winner
1st Place Gold Medal - Munich Helles
1st Place Gold Medal - Oktoberfest

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2021, 04:34:28 AM »
Trying new things is wise with BBQ. That's why we tried B&B, and stopped using Kingsford. We are 100% sold on B&B products. And they are a Texan company.

I wish b&b had better distribution.   I can get the lump at Ace but the closest place that has briquettes is 70 miles away at Academy. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2021, 12:58:51 PM »

I wish b&b had better distribution.   I can get the lump at Ace but the closest place that has briquettes is 70 miles away at Academy. 

Ace carries it here, as does Kroger. Easy to find. $12.95 for 18 lb pound bag.

mojo1254

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2021, 01:55:19 PM »
Another bad bag.... I used to love this stuff but I'm not going to keep buying it

MikekiM

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2021, 07:25:54 PM »
I have the same experience with RO. I try to grab the bags that are still on the pallet and don’t appear to have been stacked, but still there are many small pieces. Not too much of a concern in the kettle because I use the SnS almost all the time, but so much of the lump falls through the chimney grate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2021, 01:59:56 AM »
Okay...it would appear this is an easy issue to remedy. Simply use a double charcoal grate setup, two grates at 90 degree angles. Or purchase a piece of stainless steel screen and cut it to fit your charcoal basket or make it the size of the charcoal grate. That will prevent any and all small pieces from falling through. Get it on Amazon.

With lump coal, it's the nature of the beast to have irregular sizes with smaller pieces. Makes no difference what brand you use.

See photo here of dual stainless grates:

And here, standard Weber grates:

« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 02:06:40 AM by TXFlyGuy »

22ket~tle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2021, 06:27:57 AM »
how’d ya get em so clean?

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2021, 07:15:45 PM »
how’d ya get em so clean?

Well...Dawn dish detergent, a Brillo Pad, and a steel bristle brush. They clean up so nice I think they will remain in my cooking rotation.

brucemcclure

• Smokey Joe
    • My company's website
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2021, 01:17:31 AM »
Well...Dawn dish detergent, a Brillo Pad, and a steel bristle brush. They clean up so nice I think they will remain in my cooking rotation.

I'm in furniture sales and recommend the original blue Dawn Dish Detergent for getting stains out of upholstery. I would imagine that product would be great for grills, too. I was given a bottle of Citrusafe for cleaning my grates, but have used a bucket of warm water with a good amount of Dawn for general cleaning.
I’m just happy to be here. Hope I can help the ball club. I just want to give it my best shot, and the good Lord willing, things will work out.

DougWilsonsSlapper

• WKC Brave
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2021, 04:01:26 AM »
This is great, but getting the small pieces to sit in a chimney is also an issue. Is there a remedy?

Okay...it would appear this is an easy issue to remedy. Simply use a double charcoal grate setup, two grates at 90 degree angles. Or purchase a piece of stainless steel screen and cut it to fit your charcoal basket or make it the size of the charcoal grate. That will prevent any and all small pieces from falling through. Get it on Amazon.

With lump coal, it's the nature of the beast to have irregular sizes with smaller pieces. Makes no difference what brand you use.

See photo here of dual stainless grates:

And here, standard Weber grates:

Sent from my XQ-AS72 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2021, 04:36:36 AM »

This is great, but getting the small pieces to sit in a chimney is also an issue. Is there a remedy?
I switched over to lump 100% and changed my lighting process slightly by using Stump Chunks in the bottom of my chimneys which I’ve modified by inverting the wire cone to face down.   The layer of Stump Chunks keeps the small pieces from falling through and lights pretty quickly.  https://www.stumpchunks.com

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2021, 04:54:58 AM »
Not a problem for me...I don't use a chimney.