Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: CGA Rotisserie setup  (Read 240 times)

NL_Weber_fan

• WKC Ranger
CGA Rotisserie setup
« on: March 14, 2021, 04:25:11 PM »
Hello all, I thought I would share the rotisserie setup i use with my CGA.

1) I always put an aluminum pan under the charcoal grate.  It catches the drippings and most of the ash.  I am using Weber ones now but any will do.  I can usually use it 10 times.
2) I use part of the charcoal basket to hold the charcoal.
3)  I quad up tinfoil and make a box.  I made a paper template to get the right size.
4) Foil box fits just right.  Keeps dripping off the grill and helps with airflow.
5) I use a drip pan from the large gas grills to catch the dripping.  I can wash and reuse and this lets me reuse my foil box. 
6) I start the fire on the left and place the legs on the left so they can cook longer.  Usually I start with a small chimney but it was too windy. The vent near me is fully closed and the opposite is fully open.
7) Chicken on.
8  ) The motor is always on the right.  This lets the meat rotate down on the fire side.  This causes the drippings to fall away from the fire and into the drip tray. Rainy today so put a bag on to protect the motor.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jeremy

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
CGA Rotisserie setup
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 04:58:56 PM »
This is extremely helpful, I’d never thought of using a partial charcoal basket or the foil for helping direct air.  Finally got my free electric roti motor from onlyfire after much back and forth and would like to try this method.  I also have the GGA, but that thing screams to 450F even on low.  Thanks for sharing your setup.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 05:17:19 PM by bamakettles »

NL_Weber_fan

• WKC Ranger
Re: CGA Rotisserie setup
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 05:58:36 PM »
Done

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 03:56:59 AM »
Nice setup, and good looking bird
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Annie Oakley

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 09:36:16 AM »
Nice work! I need to breakout my CGA again. When I first got mine I experimented with a 1x1 snake with 3 water pans under the heat shield/drip pan. I had great results with both cooks running between 225-250* with the lid vent closed over the fire and the opposite lid vent full open to partially open. The bottom vents were partially open and all vents were adjusted as the fire moved to the middle and then the opposite end. I did not have to add any charcoal for either cook.

The little bone-in pork butt was wrapped at IT of 165-170* ish and I put it on the cooking grate until IT of 203*. Total cook time was 10 hours. My first ever porcetta came out great after spinning for 8 hours, but I wish I would have increased the heat to crisp it up a bit. There’s always next time.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Annie Oakley

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 09:38:29 AM »
Oops...I forgot the finished pork butt photo.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

NL_Weber_fan

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2021, 06:07:43 PM »
Very cool!