Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First “new” kettles happened to be birth year  (Read 484 times)

mdjason

• Smokey Joe
First “new” kettles happened to be birth year
« on: March 16, 2021, 01:15:47 PM »
A little hesitant (not really) to write this as it may establish me as one of the youngest in the club but it is what it is. For a while now I’ve been looking for another travel kettle to take on trips and outdoor excursions etc. w friends and being a college student it helps when I can save some money so I’ve been hoping one popped up on marketplace or Craigslist. Well come Sunday night I was checking CL and saw an ad for  two new in box Smokey Joe Tuck N Carrys, now platinum I believe, about 40 minutes away and the seller only wanted 10 for each so I jumped on it and had a pickup arranged for Monday at 11. After making the drive out to take them off the sellers hands, whom I saw had a green egg among others and didn’t seem to be missing these kettles too much, I got home to assemble one of them and saw it happened to be a DD code which after looking up realized that to be 2000 which is my birth year. It was cool and surprising getting a birth year kettle without even realizing it because while I realized it had the older plastic handles I didn’t expect them to be 2000 old. And as far as the grill goes I think it should work fine for what I will need it for even though I’ve seen some stuff about poor air flow, I assume most of the things I use it for while out can be grilled with the lid off. Good spring break thus far

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
Re: First “new” kettles happened to be birth year
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 01:46:13 PM »
Nice score! And welcome!! I started by dragging my 22” up to the Adirondacks in my trunk. You’ll be traveling in style.

Grails- ‘63 Fleetwood, Ambassador

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 03:04:41 PM »
Nice find!  And thanks for being here and sharing.  It takes all kinds to make a fun club, glad to see some youth here.  My youngest is 24 and I still feel 24 (and act it most of the time).  Weber fun is for all ages!  Cheers.....

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 02:29:20 AM »
Sweet score, she will cook just fine, I don't remember much about being 21, we are happy to have any and all ages here
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 04:41:25 AM »
Nice find! Congrats

Let’s see a few cooks on your new grill.

Cheers

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 05:06:01 AM »
I actually started my Weber infatuation ona Smokey Joe. So , let the games begin. Welcome, and have fun,

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2021, 07:42:51 AM »
You’re off to a great start. The SJ is a great grill. Where are you located? Getting hooked up with local bbq guys is a great way to get cheap/freebie kettles.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

mdjason

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2021, 08:48:35 AM »
Thanks guys I’m near Baltimore MD and this isn’t my first kettle just my first new in box one I have some 22s and an 18 to use at home just don’t really have any way or need to travel with them as of now so this SJ will take that role

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2021, 08:15:33 AM »
Congrats!  And so it begins....!

FatBottomGrills

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2021, 12:46:16 PM »
Welcome and grate find. Good people and good info abound at WKC!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app