Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: WKC History Questions...  (Read 524 times)

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
WKC History Questions...
« on: February 07, 2021, 01:48:23 PM »
To the club founders-

Who had the very first club post?

What was the date of the clubs founding?

I suspect that we are coming up on a 10 year anniversary and should be planning a celebration worthy of such a milestone.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Grails- ‘63 Fleetwood, Ambassador

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: WKC History Questions...
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 05:35:36 AM »
Wow great questions.  @Troy can correct any misinformation but I will try to do a little history here.

First post - without validating had to be Troy because he created the site.  The founding date was late June early July 2012 again, I think Troy can validate.

WKC was born out of a group of kettle fans who were getting heat on the Weber Virtual Bullet site for having a little too much fun.  Some of the elite members were complaining about all the kettle talk on the Virtual bullet site.  Troy validate but there was an upgrade outage to the VB site and that was the key to start up the WKC.  At the time forums were still king for social interaction and discussion so the WKC grew tremendously, the philosophy here is what I think has kept people engaged.  There are so many stories of people selflessly helping a brother out.  We have had our share of manipulated A-Holes that are only in it for themselves but all in all the philosophy still is in play today. 

At one point for me I would spend hours on WKC per day, life has a way of shifting and changing priority so I no longer do that.  I would say the Golden era of the WKC was 2014 through 2016.  So many of us were just getting into it, once we showed our wives pictures of people with backyards full of kettles to show we were not crazy more people started to "collect" kettles.

@Craig @zavod44 @Jeff maybe you can add some to the story.

Regarding the 10th anniversary, I fully anticipate a huge 10th anniversary meetup in the future come 2022.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 07:33:10 AM »
Sounds about right!
I think Zavod or AJ may have had the first actual post, i can confirm later.
I know AJ and Brian and Jeff ALL registered before I did, even though I did all the forum installation and setup...

We all met at Virtual Bullet and Brian was the biggest instigator there, and in getting me to set up our own website.
Shit got insane for a few years and I'm glad things have calmed down.

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 02:21:02 PM »
Cool story, thanks for sharing!

Grails- ‘63 Fleetwood, Ambassador

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 03:25:55 PM »
Those were fun times brainstorming before the WKC was actually formed. 
Like Troy said, once it was actually created, it was fun watching it grow so quickly...counting the new members as they registered one by one.  The first 10 members was a little milestone as was the first 100, 1000, etc.

What I remember most early on was all of us learning the history of the kettle.  The different colors, the designs, and the different features that made each kettle generation unique.  @Craig was very instrumental in accelerating that whole process when he came along. 

I knew early on when I started my personal collection that it would be popular for others...just didn't realize it would get as big, and go as global as it did.  My first thought when I started was, why would anyone want a black kettle when they could have...
The rest is history.  I think most everyone can agree on that. 

Lastly, I'm hopeful for a Chicago meetup this year too.  Missed out last year with the BS going of course.  I'm no longer local in Chitown, but would love to make the trip down if one is planned.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 03:30:27 PM by Jeff »
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Cellar2ful

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2021, 03:46:27 PM »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2021, 04:01:25 PM »
As the story goes.. the starting was brought out by a desire to talk shop and have fun doing it.
The hobby has grown exponentially. So many Kettles with great back stories.
I continue to be amazed at what is found and believe there are many more great grills to be found.
As far as being the 1st post, I can't remember. Brain may know, he's the savant when it comes to that kind of stuff.
Im just an ole hippie form Cali..
Back to the hammock..
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2021, 12:32:54 PM »
Those were fun times brainstorming before the WKC was actually formed. 
Like Troy said, once it was actually created, it was fun watching it grow so quickly...counting the new members as they registered one by one.  The first 10 members was a little milestone as was the first 100, 1000, etc.

What I remember most early on was all of us learning the history of the kettle.  The different colors, the designs, and the different features that made each kettle generation unique.  @Craig was very instrumental in accelerating that whole process when he came along. 

I knew early on when I started my personal collection that it would be popular for others...just didn't realize it would get as big, and go as global as it did.  My first thought when I started was, why would anyone want a black kettle when they could have...
The rest is history.  I think most everyone can agree on that. 

Lastly, I'm hopeful for a Chicago meetup this year too.  Missed out last year with the BS going of course.  I'm no longer local in Chitown, but would love to make the trip down if one is planned.

We are working on a date for it this year, stay tuned.

Jeff your pic of the 20 or so kettles that made the rounds was the one most used by husbands to justify to their wives that they were not crazy for wanting more than 1 BBQ.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 12:36:23 PM by LightningBoldtz »
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2021, 04:29:09 AM »
I’m grateful for this club.  I really enjoy the diversion and fellowship. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2021, 11:59:19 AM »
The history is awesome, the club is a lot of fun and break away from everyday life, and the meetups I look forward to every year, hopefully this year happens
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2021, 05:41:22 PM »

I’m grateful for this club.  I really enjoy the diversion and fellowship. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This club has formed an addiction and helped my grilling/smoking skills. I am grateful for the ppl here any the stories every day. Wonderful place to be a part of !!!

Bertl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2021, 03:26:54 AM »
Great threat, super questions and a huge shout out to the WKC dinosaurs!

Sent from my SM-A715F using Weber Kettle Club mobile app