Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: FINALLY GOOD WINGS!!!  (Read 201 times)

elninohese

• Smokey Joe
FINALLY GOOD WINGS!!!
« on: February 08, 2021, 03:40:29 AM »
Had the Weber kettle for over a year and vortex--always had mediocre wings--temp on dome always just hit 400f...Never figured it out--lump coal.  Always used mapp torch to hit lump in vortex to heat up..vents all open...Decided after a year to buy Charcoal chimney starter--filled it up with lump mapped torched it..waited for it to blaze with fire, put it in vortex....still temp only showing 400? So I decided to crack the lid top open about an inch--so not to fully close it...Well--- temp hit 600 and stayed that way for 45 mins.....kids said best wings yet....by the way -17 degrees last night.

So going forward will not close top all they was, could hear and see vortex blazing hot...

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: FINALLY GOOD WINGS!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 04:36:42 AM »
the vortex definitely likes oxygen
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

P0234

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 05:14:27 AM »
The kettle by design won't hit much over 450-475, vortex or not, it is oxygen starved.  I did vortex wings last night, it was high 20's/windy and I stayed in the 425-450 range.  On a hot day I see about 475.  Cracking the lid really helps if you need the heat.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 05:33:15 AM »
Yeah the lid crack technique comes in handy, vortex or not. I crack the lid when I’m searing various things. Even more crucial on a 26.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Skinsfan1311

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 06:31:08 AM »
How long did you cook the wings? 
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy"

elninohese

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 06:47:14 AM »
cooked them about 40 mins at 600 temp...took long time muddling to get the idea to leave lid gap open....will be doing this going forward for wanting higher temp, wings--burgers etc....man it was sizzling inside, you could hear the difference of heat--vortex was blazing....skin was crispy --crackling--really good colour on rub...

elninohese

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 08:05:28 AM »
yes should of mentioned Toronto - 17 Celsius is around 2 Fahrenheit