Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Stackers (Pic Heavy)  (Read 3790 times)

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Weber Stackers (Pic Heavy)
« on: September 30, 2020, 11:12:35 AM »
NOTICE: This will be a review of the stackers I have collected thus far and will be done over multiple posts because I find it easier to type on my computer and post photos with the phone app.  Just be patient and I will get all of the information/reviews typed, photos posted, and so on.  Anyone else is welcome to post their thoughts/photos of their stacker set ups and I wouldn't mind it one bit if this became the "Official Stackers Topic" much like the Ranch, 26er, and 18s topics. 

A little over a year ago I was frequenting these forums and discovered stackers for Weber kettles and was instantly drawn to them.  It was likely @Jules V. 's posts that I saw frequently and he has certainly taken them to all kinds of wild levels.   I guess he is partly to blame for my purchases and my affinity towards them.  I know he and a few other members may have these items or even a few I have yet to procure.  They are more than welcome to post their thoughts and photos on this topic to make it complete. 

The Collection So Far
1.) Cajun Bandit 22.5" Kettle Smoker Conversion Kit
2.) Cajun Bandit 22.5" Charcoal Kettle & Weber Smokey Mountain Rotisserie (Plug-in Model)
3.) Kettle Pizza
4.) Spitfire 3n1 22.5"

Just to make it clear I did not receive any of these items for free or at a special discount.  I did manage to find some coupon codes for some of them, but these would be coupons that are available to anyone who might be interested.  I will pit each model against one another where appropriate and then end with some overall recommendations.  However, I do not have a Caliente Stacker or a Onlyfire Multipurpose Roti Kit, but anyone else is welcome to chime in on these products.

I would absolutely recommend any of the above items in my collection, but your choice will highly depend on your own individual cooking style, what your budget is, and what you have for storage space.  Now let the Battle Begin!
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Re: Weber Stackers (Pic Heavy)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 11:32:43 AM »
PIZZA CATEGORY - KETTLE PIZZA VS. SPITFIRE 3N1

I have used the Kettle Pizza over the last year and I really enjoyed it, but I do not think it is perfect by any means.  I really dislike how the ring rests on the bowl and lid and it makes a clear air gap.  While functional, it really can't be the best for the porcelain of of a kettle and just isn't as clean as I would like it to be.  I would absolutely recommend the Kettle Pizza Baking Steel and Tombstone Pizza Stone Grate that they offer though. The Kettle Pizza can also double as a raised cooking grate in a pinch which is nice.

I then starting seeing the Spitfire 3n1 and felt that this would work great as an improved pizza cooker and it will likely be its primary use for myself. I really like how the Spitfire rests on the entirety of the bowl rather than on three bolts like the Kettle Pizza does.  I also really like how the opening for the pizza can be closed while warming up the stone at the beginning of the cook.  I wouldn't recommend leaving it closed when reaching peak pizza temps because the insulation on the door may not do well when pushed to 700+ degrees.  The fit and finish of the door is also fantastic in that it doesn't appear to have any air gaps and has a spring latch.  One difference between the Kettle Pizza is that the pizza grate does sit an inch or two higher than where it would be with the Kettle Pizza.  I doubt that this will really affect the pizza cooks, but I will test it out this weekend and will report back.  The Baking Steel and Tombstone Pizza Stone appears to be compatible with the 3n1, but I may have to modify the grate bolts with wing nuts to raise the Tombstone Pizza Stone another 1/4" or so because the opening is slightly higher than the stone height. However if you use a regular grate/stone then you will likely be level or above this opening.  The material for the Spitfire is also slightly thinner than the Kettle Pizza, but the rolled edges at the top and bottom of the Spitfire help with structural integrity of the ring.

WINNER: Spitfire 3n1

The Kettle Pizza cost varies between $100 to $120 depending on promotions and purchase location.  While the Spitfire 3n1 was approximately $189 ($170 after a 10% coupon).  So for $50 to $90 more you could buy the Spitfire and utilize it for pizza, raised cooking grate, smoking, and buy a roti of choice and install it.  Knowing that it is an option and assuming you are paying full retail go with the Spitfire 3n1 all day long.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 11:35:27 AM by ReanimatedRobot »
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 11:35:37 AM »
Pizza Category Pics

Sent from my SM-G981U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 11:56:35 AM »
ROTISSERIE CATEGORY - CAJUN BANDIT VS. SPITFIRE 3N1

The Cajun Bandit is the first roti I purchased and I haven't used it nearly as much as I would have liked to.  The price is approximately $168 for the battery unit and $196 for the plug-in model.  A 10% off coupon is frequently available around holidays if you sign up for their e-mails.  I really like this roti for a few reasons.  The first is that it is heavy duty.  It uses a thicker stainless steel and has more robust folds at the bottom and top that make it a really solid unit.  If you dropped this thing you could likely pick it back up and use it without issue.  When you pick it up there is no flex in the ring and it will easily keep its shape.  It also has a nice bonus of working with a Kettle or Weber Smokey Mountain.  The only downside to this is that there will be open roti holes at the bottom for whichever model isn't in use.  It would have been great if they included some plates/washers to plug the holes when they are not in use. The arm that attaches to the roti unit is also robust/solid.

The Spitfire 3n1 has a lot of great things going for it in this category.  For one it is slightly taller which be good for keeping some flames/heat away from whatever you may be cooking.  It also comes with a set of washers/plates to plug the holes when you wish to use it as a stacker/smoker which is a really nice addition.  The pizza door could also be utilized in a unique way depending on what you might be cooking.  The downside in comparison to the Cajun Bandit is the stainless steel isn't as thick the folds at the top and bottom are not as robust.  When you pick it up it has some flex to it and might require some pliers to reshape it if it is dropped/bent.  I do not think this was something that happened as a method of cost savings, but more likely a design choice based on what Spitfire might be using to manufacture their rings given that thicker material is harder to shape.  This unit doesn't come with a roti so that has the added benefit of picking exactly what you want or the negative of buying one if you didn't want to shop for one.

WINNER - Cajun Bandit (If You Smoke Heavily) or Spitfire (If You Don't Have Space for Multiple Stackers or Only want to Buy One)

Both of these units work really well, and I like different things about different models.  If the Spitfire used a thicker material/fold for the ring I really think it would be the clear winner here unless someone enjoys using the roti on their WSM.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 12:03:49 PM by ReanimatedRobot »

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 12:00:23 PM »
Roti Pics

MANCHAS2020

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 12:21:08 PM »
I recently purchased the #2 on your list the Cajun Bandit 22" Rotisserie Kit for my Weber Performer Deluxe.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 12:21:29 PM »
STACKER/SMOKER CATEGORY - CAJUN BANDIT VS. SPITFIRE 3N1

The Cajun Bandit has a lot of good things going or it.  Like the roti it uses a thicker material and more robust folding at the top and bottom making it a really heavy duty unit.  I also really like the mounting brackets that are used to rest a top grate and a lower/grate diffuser plate at the bottom.  In theory you could use the bottom of the bracket for another cooking grate, but it would require removing the top grate to reach.  This unit also comes with a generic top grate, a diffuser plate (pizza pan) and a charcoal ring.  The cost of this unit is $222 before any coupons, but offers a lot of value.  This unit also stacks really well with Cajun Bandits roti.  With some modifications to plug the roti holes and add grates you could potentially have all of the height and capacity of a WSM if you smoke heavily. 

The Spitfire 3n1 works great as a stacker/smoker as well, but doesn't come with diffuser and charcoal ring.  Rather than mounting brackets being used for the grates to sit on it simply utilizes stainless steel bolts.  It works, but I do like CBs mounting brackets more and may try to find a similar modification to utilize on the 3n1.  The major benefit of the 3n1 is you could easily use the top rack for smoking one item and then use a lower rack to cook something in a pan at the same time.  Simply open the pizza door and slide whatever you have in and out.  Then the bowls grate mount could have a cooking grate with a diffuser, drip pan, or just cooking space.

WINNER: Cajun Bandit (for smoking) or Spitfire (for stacker)

I think Cajun Bandit is the heavier duty unit between the two and is clearly better utilized for smokers with its additional pieces and it being able to stack with the CB roti.  However, the Spitfire provides a lot of value and versitility that makes it great for direct heat with height and the ability to use multiple racks without removing a top grate.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 12:25:07 PM »
Smoker/Stacker Pics

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 12:34:42 PM »
Overall all of these units are awesome.  However I likely won't have much use for the Kettle Pizza ring anymore and may even gift it to someone else. 

If you can only have one stacker for space or cost reasons then the Spitfire 3n1 is a fantastic buy.  If you want it for a 26er it is really your only option as I am not aware of any other stackers for a 26er.  Cajun Bandit does have a roti for the 26er, but it isn't in stainless steel.

If you smoke a lot or use a WSM then Cajun Bandit offers a lot of value and is just a sturdier set up. 

My ideal choice would likely be a set up that was as sturdy as the Cajun Bandit stacker, but utilized all of the extra functions the Spitfire 3n1 provides with the pizza door, roti mounts, and plugs for the roti.  I don't see CB doing this because then you wouldn't need to buy their Kettle Conversion Kit and their Roti.  However if Spitfire made their ring sturdy like the CB and the rack for the grates was improved (maybe even adjustable) I think it would make almost all other stackers obsolete. 

For now I will likely use the 3n1 as a pizza cooker and a secondary stacker/roti if I ever need it for larger cooks.  The Cajun bandits will likely remain my primary Stacker and Roti for the time being.

I really don't have a reason to buy the Onlyfire set up, but it seems like a decent value.  Maybe others can recommend it, but I can't easily compare it to what I have currently.

The Caliente stacker I am interested in for Santa Maria style cooking and others here have it if they want to do a write up on it here.  Maybe sometime in the future I will pick one up and update this post.

Hope this helps anyone shopping and I hope to see some other interesting set ups!

« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 12:42:25 PM by ReanimatedRobot »

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Weber Stackers (Pic Heavy)
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2020, 01:21:41 PM »
Just my  type of topic. Great write up.

bladz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2020, 04:55:02 PM »
Great read Bill!  Thanks for the reviews  and hard work of putting this together. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2020, 07:21:49 PM »
Excellent reviews! Thanks, Bill!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2020, 03:09:34 AM »
Awesome reviews, thanks
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2020, 04:53:22 AM »
Thanks for the research, write up and pictures. Well done Sir!

Jrzy.Hillbilly

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2020, 08:16:26 AM »
Nicely done reviews.  Thank you.