Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pandemic Pork Jerky in my stick burner.  (Read 2366 times)

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
Re: Pandemic Pork Jerky in my stick burner.
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2020, 04:30:53 PM »
Well obviously the original recipe was made for decades. Without cure. No one died or got sick.
But with the amount of time that the meat spends in the 100 degree smoker taking on the flavor of the wood, it makes sense to use cure to fend off the nasties...

If you're using cure #1 then the lo so ingredients could be replaced with the regular stuff. I think.

Hmm...I think I see another recipe revamp in my future.

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2020, 05:22:17 PM »

I’ve thought about doing pork as it is usually cheaper, just a little nervous of the bacteria thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Please explain the bacteria nervousness to me.
It’s probably from seeing the YouTube thing where the guys pours coke on pork chops and worms come out. As my dehydrator only goes too 140...seems to be maybe unsafe...but all the beef I’ve done has been fine though.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2020, 05:29:54 PM »

I’ve thought about doing pork as it is usually cheaper, just a little nervous of the bacteria thing.

Please explain the bacteria nervousness to me.
It’s probably from seeing the YouTube thing where the guys pours coke on pork chops and worms come out. As my dehydrator only goes too 140...seems to be maybe unsafe...but all the beef I’ve done has been fine though.

Hmm. I never heard of anything like that. Not even with wild porkers...Farm raised pork shouldn't come with worms...

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
Pandemic Pork Jerky in my stick burner.
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2020, 08:53:24 AM »
It’s probably a fake video...but it still kind of gross. I’ve taken food manager courses, and my family has food handlers cards. So I understand food safety...I fo my best to be careful with everything I do with food, but especially with pork and poultry.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2020, 09:53:40 AM »
It’s probably a fake video...but it still kind of gross. I’ve taken food manager courses, and my family has food handlers cards. So I understand food safety...I do my best to be careful with everything I do with food, but especially with pork and poultry.

You'll never get an argument from me when it comes to playing it safe. That's why I use the cure. The 4 hour time in the smoker makes the cure a necessity.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2020, 05:28:44 AM »
Just made a couple different flavors of beef jerky. The first one I used a nesco original seasoning. The second I made pretty close to this recipe minus the cure and with the addition of being dusted with dehydrated Serrano and jalapeño powder I made. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2020, 07:34:55 AM »
I got another batch of pork smoking now.
And I did buy a 5+ pound eye of round today...