Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Best charcoal for long smoking with a slow n sear??  (Read 1523 times)

thornsbreak

• Happy Cooker
Best charcoal for long smoking with a slow n sear??
« on: May 07, 2020, 08:35:18 PM »
Hey guys,

brand new here, and just became the proud new owner of a 22" Deep Ocean Blue Master Touch as a generous housewarming gift from my best man (see why he's earned the title?).  I've been reading the Meathead book and quite a bit of articles on his website to educate myself.

I've already ordered a slow n sear as I aim to do both 2 zone grilling as well as a LOT of slow and low smoked bbq.

I'm wondering what your favorite recommendations are for charcoal brand for slow smoking using the slow n sear, and why.

I'm sort of inclined towards an all-natural charcoal if possible, as I've read that Kingsford Best can give off some unpleasant odors while catching fire, and since a lot of the coals will be unlit at first in the slow n sear.  Is there a best-value all natural charcoal you'd recommend, and do these work equally well as Kingsford in the slow n sear? I've heard some concerns about others not lighting as well when people use the snake method (heard that about regular Royal Oak for instance, wondered if it applies to their all-natural?), and I would think that would mean trouble in the slow n sear.  Is Kingsford just the classic way to go? 

I'd like to hear some people's experiences with using different charcoal brands in this exact device on a weber kettle, and what you liked or didn't like about them, so I can get off to a good start.  Please share what you've learned!

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
Best charcoal for long smoking with a slow n sear??
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 11:22:15 PM »
I can’t give any advice. I’ve always used kingsford as my standard go to. I will also use Kroger, brand. Or generic. Since I have a pellet grill, I’ve used treager, and several brands of pellets. Any way I’ve never used lump. So hopefully you can get some better advice....and welcome to wkc! This is a cool place to learn and post your cooks. Check out Malcolm Reeds how to bbq right app.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

sonofabutcher

• WKC Brave
Re: Best charcoal for long smoking with a slow n sear??
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 03:32:05 AM »
Kingsford uses a lot of fillers and produces too much ash for my liking. I use B&B briquettes and Royal Oak natural with great results with my Sns. Also RO and BB lump are great too. Definitely check out Malcom’s YouTube channel and download his app. I help him out from time to time with bbq classes and Memphis in May contest. Great guy with great content. Enjoy the group and that new kettle.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 04:08:08 AM »
This is my favorite. Been using it since it came out. Stock up when it is on sale.
Stubb's is nice too but it is no longer found anywhere near me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 04:15:24 AM by Kneab »
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

sonofabutcher

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 04:25:21 AM »

This is my favorite. Been using it since it came out. Stock up when it is on sale.

it went on sale for $5 bag  over a year ago here in the southeast and never stocked again. It’s great charcoal !

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 04:47:41 AM »
Another vote here for the RO all natural. It burns very predictably and doesn't stink. Price is reasonable and it's readily available.

However DO NOT USE RO premium. It does stink and ya better have your cooking done in 30 minutes cause that's when they turn to ash.

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2020, 05:11:33 AM »

Kingsford uses a lot of fillers and produces too much ash for my liking. I use B&B briquettes and Royal Oak natural with great results with my Sns. Also RO and BB lump are great too. Definitely check out Malcom’s YouTube channel and download his app. I help him out from time to time with bbq classes and Memphis in May contest. Great guy with great content. Enjoy the group and that new kettle.

Agreed , anything you need to know . Check out malcom’s videos. Amazing stuff there . Congratulations on ur new Weber and you are gonna be hooked !

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2020, 05:55:42 AM »

it went on sale for $5 bag  over a year ago here in the southeast and never stocked again. It’s great charcoal !

Same here except I found it again yesterday for $20 per bag. I will buy it at that price if I have too for select cooks when long burn time is needed. It easily burns twice as long or more than kingsford.

For everyday hot and fast grilling I prefer the kingsford professional. Fires up faster than any briquettes I’ve tried and burns hot. Great for steaks. I haven’t been much of a lump user lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2020, 06:14:31 AM »
You'll get a lot of opinions on this topic for sure.... I used to be a Kingsford guy all the way until I began cooking low and slow with an S-N-S in my kettles.  I didn't care for the taste - ok, my wife didn't (happy wife happy life) so I tried a few others.  Royal Oak had a sale and I got a few bags which did produce a different taste but we still weren't totally happy.  Then I found B&B which is all natural and the results were superior IMO.  I use orange bag briquettes and also lump, sometimes mixing them up a bit.  I always have leftover charcoal in the basket and rarely use many wood chunks at all - just pecan, apple or peach but very sparingly.  (After browser freeze edit)  It's good IMO to try a few and see what you like.  Welcome to the club!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 06:16:23 AM by bamakettles »

thornsbreak

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2020, 10:51:55 AM »
Hey guys, thanks for the helpful replies, and keep 'em coming!  It's really helpful to hear a variety of perspectives.  I'm surprised to get so much feedback so quick, and it's great.  I wasn't aware of Malcolm's YouTube channel or bbq app, so that's a great tip-off.

I was just at Walmart yesterday, and spotted a product in red, white, and blue bags called Value Size Royal Oak Premium 100% All Natural Hardwood Briquets.  2 x 18lb bags for only $8.88. 
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Royal-Oak-All-Natural-Hardwood-Premium-Charcoal-Briquets-18-Lb-2-Pack-VALUE-SIZE/406873334

Yet they also had the standard Royal Oak All Natural at $7.94 for ONE 16 lb bag.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Royal-Oak-All-Natural-Hardwood-Charcoal-Briquets-16-Lb/845226248 

Naturally, I was pretty confused about the difference between these products.  I actually went ahead and emailed Royal Oak customer service to find out.  I'll include their response to me below, but I'm curious to know if any of you have experience with both versions and how they seem to compare.  The response I got basically says they're the same thing, but it's kind of hard for me to understand why the same store would carry two versions of the same thing at two different prices, and it makes me a little nervous that the cheaper one won't perform as well.  Has anyone used the red white and blue version?

Here's what they sent me when I asked them to explain the difference between the two, as well as to clarify how they relate to older brands I've read reviews of online-- the red bag "Ridge" and the "Chef's Select."  Here's the reply:

Dear Thornsbreak:

Thank you for contacting us. It is always exciting to be included in your grilling experience. Royal Oak specializes in manufacturing charcoal. There is not a difference between the All Natural Hardwood Briquets seen on our website and the All Natural Hardwood Briquets seen in Walmart stores. Walmart is running a "Patriotic" promotional campaign with the product this summer. This is the reason for the red, white and blue bags. The Royal Oak Premium Ridge has been discontinued which is why it's no longer featured on our website. However, Royal Oak Chef's Select is currently on our website under Restaurant products as this is mainly sold to restaurant owners. https://www.royaloak.com/product-category/restaurant-products/.

So it sure sounds like a good deal on the red white and blue bags, if they really perform the same... they're basically buy one get one free.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2020, 11:47:16 AM »
Try it and see.
They're not the same. not at all.

sonofabutcher

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2020, 12:06:20 PM »
Forgot to mention my other buddies YT channels. Mark Williams from Swinelife Bbq and Jay Durbin from Making it Mojo. Swinelife’s channel has lots of great videos and Jay is the reigning World Champion Rib cook. They cook on Weber kettles to offsets so a lot of variety.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2020, 12:23:57 PM »
I have had success with all kinds of briquettes, RO, B&B (which has crazy low amount of ash), Kingsford, Embers (which is RO) and Expert (which is also RO), among others. They have all worked well for indirect, direct, and low and slow. Don't overthink briquettes.  Also, Weber briquettes are amazing but near impossible to find and very expensive.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;