Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New and thanks for accepting me as a member. Southern KY  (Read 1680 times)

Tallbald

• Smokey Joe
New and thanks for accepting me as a member. Southern KY
« on: April 24, 2020, 07:05:14 AM »
Hello. New here as said. Bought my Kettle a week ago from Lowe's home center, a handsome copper colored Premium original (?). Heavy duty nylon weather cover received thanks to Amazon. Some smoking history about me. Up to this season I was a dedicated offset wood fired smoker owner but spinal surgeries and a knee replacement have worn my body down to the point I could no longer by myself move my OK Joe Highland. Nor could I any longer comfortably split the wood needed to keep the puppy going for long smokes. She was a beauty though, with mods to include steel firebox-to-food-chamber  baffle and extended inside chimney duct down to grill level, extended chimney, added firebox vent, firebox lower bracing, and a baffle system to distribute smoke. Aging and infirmity have taken their toll on this 6 decade old body. My OK Joe went to a good home thanks to Facebook Marketplace. A man in his mid-40's and his teen aged son rolled into the drive last Saturday and after price negotiations were concluded, lifted my prized smoker easily onto his truck for the 70 mile trip to its' new home. He had traveled that far to buy my smoker. My offset was a fun and educational journey over several seasons, but the needs of the spine reign supreme!
Onto a new journey in smoking and grilling excitement thanks to my new Weber Kettle. And this baby can be used without concern to grill the burgers, chops and chicken my family also loves. I never risked grilling on my offset. It was a dedicated smoker its' entire life with me.  Planned now with my Weber Kettle are long smokes, thanks to the "snake" technique I've read about, with 99 cent a pound (on sale) pork butts, pork loins, and hopefully beef chuck roasts aplenty. The chuck is more of a rarity in our household however because on a forced retirement budget, $2.50 a pound is still kinda pricey for my beloved Miss Penny and me.
 I chose the Weber Kettle after much study. I'm a big comparison shopper and never even in my teen years have been an impulse buyer. Comparing the Weber to knock-offs in build quality, materials, price vs. features and track record, I know I made the correct decision paying (gulp) $165 for this 50 year culmination of grilling and smoking evolution. Right now I'm awaiting some gasket material for the lid to arrive before my first burn-in. My OK Joe needed gaskets and I'm a firm believer. A reversible modification too if I chose incorrectly.
I'm debating today whether or not to buy my first remote digital two probe thermometer, and will study here too about a particular model to order. A few other questions I'll study here also, hoping to draw on the vast experience and wealth of information so willingly shared as evidenced by the topics I've seen discussed thus far.
New folks to any hobby or pursuit benefit greatly from the willingness of other, more experienced people to share learned lessons. I've no doubt that I'm in for a good time learning and evolving myself thanks to help from members on this extensive and informative forum.

Jan M.

• WKC Brave
    • Mogschrauber
Re: New and thanks for accepting me as a member. Southern KY
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 07:10:20 AM »
Hi,
Welcome from Germany !

Jan

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Best regards,
Jan

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 07:13:28 AM »
Welcome from Doraville,Ga. plenty of grate folks here willing to help so don't hesitate to ask. most of all have fun with your new grill
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 11:38:08 AM »
Welcome from Highland Park, Illinois! I've benefitted from this group's collective wisdom many times - when in doubt, reach out!
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

RUonFire

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 07:46:37 PM »
Welcome from Southern California!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Drenno

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 12:06:06 AM »
Hi and welcome from Sydney Australia!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 03:18:52 AM »
Welcome from Huntsville, Alabama!

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 03:31:50 AM »
Welcome from Plainfield Indiana!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveG74

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2020, 07:40:26 PM »
Welcome from just south of Chicago, IL!
I swear, when I score a great deal on a 26" I'll stop buying grills... So often.