Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Advice please re: Tri Tip  (Read 1604 times)

putoluto

• WKC Brave
Advice please re: Tri Tip
« on: April 19, 2020, 04:42:32 AM »
I searched and read through some previous tri-tip help threads, but I wasn't finding quite what I am seeking.

I'm going to do a Costco Tri tip, I was so happy to find this in Knoxville because tri-tip is super common in South Orange County, CA but not since we moved here last year have I seen it anywhere. I want to grill this up for my wife and my houseguest who just moved here from Anaheim.

I am going to season with salt / pepper / and some Santa Maria seasoning I picked up at this place in Franklin, TN https://www.savoryspiceshop.com. I do know to cut across the grain on this multi-directional grained cut of sirloin goodness.

I'm breaking out my dad's redhead from the move / storage. I have ordered, but not received a multi-probe thermometer. I do have a Weber pen thermometer and a cheap grocery-store oven grate thermometer. Oh, and an old turkey stick-it-in thermometer, maybe I can shove that in a top vent hole for a ballpark ambient temp reading?

Since I do not have the advantage of probes to read without lifting the lid on and off, how should I try to cook this tri tip?

Will a double row of KBB around half the interior perimeter get me to around 225F and keep me there? For how long to cook this, it's 2.63 lbs in the package?

Then do I need to adjust the coals into a nice pile so I can direct heat sear both sides for a few minutes each, or just move the meat so it is over the half-snake of KBB?  Maybe throw down a pre-heated cast-iron grill for the searing? What about bottom and top vent positions?  Thanks. this is my first one and I don't wanna F it up.  We like our meat about medium-well to well.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and assisting.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 04:48:55 AM by putoluto »

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 04:58:29 AM »
My question is how many tri tip? How do you like it-well, medium well, medium etc. without probes...i don’t ever use probes or even direct sear for any tritip I do. My set up is always, foil water pan in the middle, about an inch of water in it give or take. Approx 25 coals on each side of the pan. Once the coals have started turning pretty grey, put a hickory chunk on each pile of coals, put tri tip in the middle over pan. Lid on. I leave bottom and top wide open. 45 minutes- medium/ medium rare. 60 minutes for medium. 75 minute for medium well.
Also when I say each side of pan, I mean the two longest sides, not the top or bottom. Basic indirect/ hot and fast. I just put the lid on and let her rip.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 05:02:17 AM by bbqking01 »

putoluto

• WKC Brave
Re: Advice please re: Tri Tip
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 05:11:57 AM »
Hey bbqking01, thanks for sharing your process. It is a single tri tip that weighs 2.63 lbs. We generally prefer our meat well to medium-well.  Your method does sound quick and simple.

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 05:19:04 AM »
For one tri tip, I’d maybe only use approx 20 coals in each side, I also use the feel method by pressing on the tritip with my meat tongs to see how firm it is. I also get my tritip at the local Costco. FYI, they also sell it untrimmed in bulk there, usually doesn’t have a lot of the fat cap on it in bulk, so I guess it’s partially trimmed just not all pretty. About 6-8 in a bag. Any way....

« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 05:24:30 AM by bbqking01 »

putoluto

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 06:50:17 AM »
Thanks for the advice bbqking01, I appreciate it.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 10:30:37 AM »
@putoluto , you're overthinking this too much.  Light a chimney, dump when ashed, throw tri tip on. cook until you like the color on the outside, I turn mine several times during the cook, it's a thick piece so turning evens out the heat, I cook to 135-145 in thick part, you'll get a little med rare, a little medium and some medium well on the ends... your seasoning sounds right, although I don't use the "santa maria" stuff... keep it simple... and don't worry about lifting the lid, true Santa Maria is an open grill. Good luck!!!
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

putoluto

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 10:37:20 AM »
@putoluto , you're overthinking this too much.  Light a chimney, dump when ashed, throw tri tip on. cook until you like the color on the outside, I turn mine several times during the cook, it's a thick piece so turning evens out the heat, I cook to 135-145 in thick part, you'll get a little med rare, a little medium and some medium well on the ends... your seasoning sounds right, although I don't use the "santa maria" stuff... keep it simple... and don't worry about lifting the lid, true Santa Maria is an open grill. Good luck!!!
Thanks Varekai. Being a Paso guy, you KNOW your Santa Maria Tri-tip, no doubt. Impossible to find that good red oak outside of central coast :(

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2020, 10:51:17 AM »
Thanks Varekai. Being a Paso guy, you KNOW your Santa Maria Tri-tip, no doubt. Impossible to find that good red oak outside of central coast :(

Most of the time I forgo the oak, and yes, I do tri tip at least once a week, sometimes more, I have been known to throw some beech wood chips in the mix... thats whats used in germany for Schwenk grilling.  which reminds me.......
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2020, 10:55:30 AM »
I pretty much just dump a chimney on one side and cook indirect until internal reaches 95 then sear it off and put back to indirect side until desired internal temp. Last one I did I pulled at 120 in the thickest part and tented with foil for ten minutes.

Its super easy and every one I have ever done has been tender and delicious. I’m always surprised how good it is. I have to order them from a butcher. They are unknown in my area. I only discovered them from being on this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2020, 12:12:49 PM »
Last one I did...A pile of unlit lump on one side with 8-12 lit briqs on top. A chunk of hickory doesn't hurt. Tri tip indirect till 130 or so. Wife asked that it be a little more done this time. Stoke the coals a bit and sear each side on the direct side. Perfect!

putoluto

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2020, 04:44:31 PM »
Well, it turned out great!  Started off with bbqking01's method. Temp was too low (smoking temp and I opted last minute to go with grilling). So I removed the water tray, opened up all the vents, put potatoes with nails over the coals and the tri tip in the center with two charcoal baskets full on the sides.

I stuck the pen thermometer in and it hit between 140-145 depending on where I put it. Pulled it right away. Took it inside and covered it with foil to rest 1/2 hour while gold potatoes finished and the cobbed corn was added.

I was afraid I over cooked, but everything turned out great. The meat was mostly gray with a little red, but no running blood. Exactly how I like it!!! Potatoes fell apart so easily a fork went into the center with barely any pressure.

Thanks for the advice and tips, I and my guests were thrilled with how it all turned out. We ate nearly everything and it was delicious!!!!

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2020, 07:44:39 PM »

Well, it turned out great!  Started off with bbqking01's method. Temp was too low (smoking temp and I opted last minute to go with grilling). So I removed the water tray, opened up all the vents, put potatoes with nails over the coals and the tri tip in the center with two charcoal baskets full on the sides.

I stuck the pen thermometer in and it hit between 140-145 depending on where I put it. Pulled it right away. Took it inside and covered it with foil to rest 1/2 hour while gold potatoes finished and the cobbed corn was added.

I was afraid I over cooked, but everything turned out great. The meat was mostly gray with a little red, but no running blood. Exactly how I like it!!! Potatoes fell apart so easily a fork went into the center with barely any pressure.

Thanks for the advice and tips, I and my guests were thrilled with how it all turned out. We ate nearly everything and it was delicious!!!!
Hmm, I thought I said I left the vents wide open...so no comprende. I guess whatever method you use that works for you is the one for you. I was just saying the way I do them.

putoluto

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2020, 04:12:21 AM »
Re-reading your post, you did say that. It was me who misunderstood. I was running around the house getting all the things ready that I overlooked that line in your post, mea culpa.

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2020, 07:09:26 PM »
It’s all good, happy trails to you...until we meet again...lol