Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Brisket Tritip  (Read 638 times)

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
Brisket Tritip
« on: April 18, 2020, 08:04:57 AM »
Thanks to @Smoken Joe  for the heads up and tips on trying this out.  I fired up the 26r with a 2x2x1 snake and set off around 11am.  The family doesn't like smokey tastes so I started the snake with 8 briquettes of Kingsford apple coals.  Temps stayed steady between 250-275 but had a few spikes at 325 because of the wind.  I wrapped at 150ish and pulled at 210 at 3:15pm.  I thought it would take longer so I left it wrapped and placed it in the oven (oven stayed off).  I make the sweet potato sides and place the tritip in the oven at 400 for a few minuets just to heat it up a bit.  I know some people are firm believers that tritip is best medium rare, if you haven't tried this I highly recommend going off the beaten path.  It was outstanding, next time I may need to cook two because the family tore into it.  I'm hoping @inkaddictedchef1 will turn it into an episode on grill therapy.
ISO Yellow Offset SJ, Yellow ranger

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
Re: Brisket Tritip
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 08:09:01 AM »
Nice smoke ring. How tender was it? In my first tritip experience was an old guy that used to grill his tritip WELL done, and it was tough as boot leather without a lot of flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Smoken Joe

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 08:56:06 AM »
Nice smoke ring. How tender was it? In my first tritip experience was an old guy that used to grill his tritip WELL done, and it was tough as boot leather without a lot of flavor.

If you smoke the tri-tip following the same guidelines as you would brisket you will get the same if not better results. The meat will break down and get tender the same way and you can pull it apart with your fingers. Just make sure to pick a tri-tip with a good fat-cap as some may be over trimmed. I mastered slower cooking tri-tip to a medium rare as it’s one of my favorite cuts to cook but after I started smoking it like a brisket it’s hard to go back with the results you get. It’s definitely a family favorite!
Tri-Tip & Beef Dip, Some of the Glen Blue & some of the Yella

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 09:28:27 AM »
I was told I cut it incorrectly. It was so tender I had to be careful cutting as JT was falling part.  And I need to sharpen my knives

ISO Yellow Offset SJ, Yellow ranger

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 11:58:29 AM »
Tri Tip is one the few cuts of beef that can go to a higher temp without bad results. I actually think it is more tender at 145 than at 130...