Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Help with silverside roast  (Read 2575 times)

Vrb111

• Smokey Joe
Help with silverside roast
« on: April 05, 2020, 01:33:15 PM »
Hi,
I cooked my first silverside roast today. It was 2.2 kgs in weight and I did it on the rotisserie over charcoal for approx 1 hour 15 mins at approx 180 degrees Celsius until it was medium cooked.
My wife normally does it overnight in a slow cooker but I wanted to prove I could serve up a tender juicy roast from the bbq.
It was juicy ok but tough as old boots!!!! 🙈🙈🙈
Where did I go wrong or how do I cook a nice roast on the bbq?
Thanks,
Val.

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 02:08:58 PM »
With beef I would not go much over 130 Fahrenheit, not sure what 180 Celsius is compared to Fahrenheit, but I thought it was a lot lower. I looked it up and it says 385 Fahrenheit. Well if it was 385 Fahrenheit, that would be why. 130, and slice it thin.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
Re: Help with silverside roast
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 02:32:32 PM »
With beef I would not go much over 130 Fahrenheit, not sure what 180 Celsius is compared to Fahrenheit, but I thought it was a lot lower. I looked it up and it says 385 Fahrenheit. Well if it was 385 Fahrenheit, that would be why. 130, and slice it thin.

X2 I agree it will take longer to cook but should not be tough. I would also do offset heat.
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

Vrb111

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 09:48:55 AM »
I did do it indirect heat but 130 is only about 55c how do you get the bbq to run so low? Also if i want the roast to be cooked to a medium which is 60c how does this work?
Thanks.

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 10:57:04 AM »
Use a meat probe stuck in the meat while it is grilling. Or one you can stick in it every so often to check. Depending on the size of the roast, I would take it off at 130-135, for medium. I like mine medium- medium rare, so I pull tritip off at 120-125...and let it rest...it will climb up to 130, then start to drop. Just make sure the middle is where you get the probe to.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 10:58:37 AM by bbqking01 »

Vrb111

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 11:51:58 AM »
Use a meat probe stuck in the meat while it is grilling. Or one you can stick in it every so often to check. Depending on the size of the roast, I would take it off at 130-135, for medium. I like mine medium- medium rare, so I pull tritip off at 120-125...and let it rest...it will climb up to 130, then start to drop. Just make sure the middle is where you get the probe to.

I have the Weber temp probe. How do you get your bbq to run at a very low temp over a long time? I’m happy with it medium rare to, It was an expensive lump of meat and I felt I let the family down by destroying it. Has knocked the confidence  :-[ what do you recommend for a remote heat probe that I can leave in meat while cooking?

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 03:31:33 PM »
My method for a roast like yours would be, a foil drip pan in the middle with about a half a gallon of water. Approx 20-25 briquettes on each side of the foil pan, once grey, add your favorite wood chunks/chips...approx 45-60 minutes you should be ready. Probe the middle at 40-45, then at 60...pull that puppy off at 125-130. Rest for 25 or so then slice thin at an angle, serve and enjoy! You will have to fiddle some with the finishing temps and times as weather can affect those. But that is part of the fun of it. Once you get it down, you will be the new hero of your family. As they say practice makes perfect...I use a probe almost exactly like this one.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 03:42:03 PM by bbqking01 »

29tx

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2020, 04:17:32 PM »

I have the Weber temp probe. How do you get your bbq to run at a very low temp over a long time? I’m happy with it medium rare to, It was an expensive lump of meat and I felt I let the family down by destroying it. Has knocked the confidence  :-[ what do you recommend for a remote heat probe that I can leave in meat while cooking?

I think yall are confusing each other with bbq temp vs meat temp. How much charcoal do you use?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2020, 04:25:12 PM »
I’m not familiar with that cut but maybe it’s one that is best slow cooked like a brisket.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2020, 05:12:28 PM »
I’m not familiar with that cut but maybe it’s one that is best slow cooked like a brisket.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I had to google what cut of meat that was. "Silverside is a term used in the UK, Ireland, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand for a cut of beef from the hindquarter of cattle, just above the leg cut. ... Silverside is boned out from the top along with the topside and thick flank. It is usually prepared as a 2nd class roasting joint."

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2020, 05:41:54 PM »
Hi,
I cooked my first silverside roast today. It was 2.2 kgs in weight and I did it on the rotisserie over charcoal for approx 1 hour 15 mins at approx 180 degrees Celsius until it was medium cooked.
My wife normally does it overnight in a slow cooker but I wanted to prove I could serve up a tender juicy roast from the bbq.
It was juicy ok but tough as old boots!!!! 🙈🙈🙈
Where did I go wrong or how do I cook a nice roast on the bbq?
Thanks,
Val.

Btw, welcome aboard!  I see you just joined WKC.  In general, any meat that requires overnight slow cooker method as you mentioned will require low at @ 250f constant charcoal temp. at cooking grate where the meat is and slowly brought up to @ 200f internal temp. of the meat. Time will vary depending on the cut and the size of the meat. Don't worry, we all make mistakes cooking to become better cooks. 
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 05:47:09 PM by greenweb »

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2020, 05:49:49 AM »
My method for a roast like yours would be, a foil drip pan in the middle with about a half a gallon of water. Approx 20-25 briquettes on each side of the foil pan, once grey, add your favorite wood chunks/chips...approx 45-60 minutes you should be ready. Probe the middle at 40-45, then at 60...pull that puppy off at 125-130. Rest for 25 or so then slice thin at an angle, serve and enjoy! You will have to fiddle some with the finishing temps and times as weather can affect those. But that is part of the fun of it. Once you get it down, you will be the new hero of your family. As they say practice makes perfect...I use a probe almost exactly like this one.

Totally agree with @bbqking01 here.  Every now and then even, if you do everything right, the meat just won't cooperate. Chalk it up to experience and try again. Don't give up! Rotisserie is one of THE BEST ways to get tender slow roasted juicy meat. The key here is the balance between a consistent cook temp and monitoring the internal meat temperature. Better to err on the side of rare than well done as you can always cook the meat a little longer, but you can't bring it back from the dead! You might want to consider roasting at a lower temperature to extend the time your roast is exposed to the coals? Tweak different things until you find method that results in the flavor you and your family love! Good luck and send us pics of your progress!
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

Vrb111

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2020, 11:40:23 PM »
A few pics of the beef

Vrb111

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2020, 11:41:58 PM »
A few pics of the beef

Vrb111

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2020, 11:44:24 PM »
Hi Folks, need help on best way to cook this low and slow on the rotisserie? Snake method 5-6 hours?