Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kettle Age Determination  (Read 1287 times)

ChadVKealey

• Happy Cooker
Kettle Age Determination
« on: January 14, 2020, 11:14:51 AM »
I found this 18" kettle in a neighbor's trash several months ago and finally had a chance to clean it up this past Sunday. I also replaced the lower vents and handles, but it seems this needs a slightly larger grate than the ones I have for my Jumbo Joes. I'd like to find out (as near as possible) the age of this guy. I looked pretty close at the lid vent and couldn't find any markings of any kind - it's just flat, bare metal.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Kettle Age Determination
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 01:33:52 PM »
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 03:45:40 PM »
I think it is either: 1) a Happy Cooker; 2) a private labeled one Weber did for Sears or K-mart; or 3) a Weber but where the LID vent was changed out as there is a screw through the vent instead of a rivet.  The LID vent has a large tab, but does not appear to have WEBER embossed on it, which is why I'm guessing it is something else, although I suppose it is possible that it is a Weber where someone either purchased a replacement vent through Sears or used one off of another grill.  Either way, it should still be a good cooker & still has a lot of life left in it.

I think I remember hearing Weber also put out some kettles where you had to bolt on the vents yourself, but I'm guessing they still would have said Weber on the vent.  I think one I have NIB might actually be one, but I've not really looked at it even though it is open.

Do you still have the old handles?  Those might help tell the story.
regards,
Hal

ChadVKealey

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 04:44:07 AM »
I think it is either: 1) a Happy Cooker; 2) a private labeled one Weber did for Sears or K-mart; or 3) a Weber but where the LID vent was changed out as there is a screw through the vent instead of a rivet.  The LID vent has a large tab, but does not appear to have WEBER embossed on it, which is why I'm guessing it is something else, although I suppose it is possible that it is a Weber where someone either purchased a replacement vent through Sears or used one off of another grill.  Either way, it should still be a good cooker & still has a lot of life left in it.

I think I remember hearing Weber also put out some kettles where you had to bolt on the vents yourself, but I'm guessing they still would have said Weber on the vent.  I think one I have NIB might actually be one, but I've not really looked at it even though it is open.

Do you still have the old handles?  Those might help tell the story.

Thanks for the info. I was not aware of the Kmart/Sears ("debranded"?) models, but that's a good possibility. When I found it, only part of one handle was left, and it was severely rotted.

I did a test burn in it on Sunday and it seems to hold temps well. I hear the correct grates for this (~17-7/8" diameter) are out of production, so probably not going to find one of those. Most likely, I'll use this as the base for the Cajun Bandit Stacker I've been using on my Jumbo Joe for those cooks where I don't need the full-size WSM. Or, if nothing else, it'll be a good Dutch Oven table.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 08:05:29 AM »

Sounds like your kettle may take a grate size for the discontinued old Jumbo Joe,  aka- Outrider.   Does your kettle have grate straps or is the bowl crimped so the cooking grate rests on the crimped part of the bowl? Weber still sells this cooking grate but  my experience is most of the Weber representatives don't know about it or can't find it unless you give them the part number.  The part number is #66913 and the grate measures 17.88" OD.  You have to call Weber Customer Service to order one   800-446-1071.

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 09:52:45 AM »

Sounds like your kettle may take a grate size for the discontinued old Jumbo Joe,  aka- Outrider.   Does your kettle have grate straps or is the bowl crimped so the cooking grate rests on the crimped part of the bowl? Weber still sells this cooking grate but  my experience is most of the Weber representatives don't know about it or can't find it unless you give them the part number.  The part number is #66913 and the grate measures 17.88" OD.  You have to call Weber Customer Service to order one   800-446-1071.

Looking closely at the picture it looks crimped.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ChadVKealey

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 11:42:40 AM »
Looking closely at the picture it looks crimped.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Yes, there's sort of a stepped ring that the grate sits on...no hangers, straps, etc. It's the same bowl as the old Jumbo Joe ("Platinum"?), just with different vent cutouts.

I found this one: https://www.appliancefactoryparts.com/search/part/551740/135917/ and ordered it. Doesn't seem to be same part number as Weber's though. If it doesn't fit, I'll give Weber a call.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 06:51:52 AM »

I had one of those years ago. Ended up selling it.
It was pretty much determined to be a Sears branded kettle but made by Weber.

Had a crooked K on the lid vent, and L on the bowl vents.
Nothing was embossed on the lid vent and the wood handles were too far-gone to determine anything else.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.