Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Breaking in the 26  (Read 1997 times)

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
Breaking in the 26
« on: September 02, 2019, 07:57:31 PM »
I've been meaning to post this for a while but life with a toddler and infant keep you busy. @mike.stavlund picked up this 26 for me some time ago and it was in pristine condition. The only evidence of it being used was the charcoal grate looked like it was used once. There wasn't even anything on the inside of the lid nor the cook grate.

The first cook I did was wings! I had asked here how many wings can you fit on a 26. I was intent on filling it to the max but my wife reminded me that wings were the side item. So I only got 4 dozen. I was originally planning on using a regular SnS to cook them but several people here suggested vortex/baskets in the center. Full chimney of Kingsford pro. I ended up going that route. I was rushed at the end of the cook and had to finish them off direct. I didn't even remember to take a picture until I had pulled off most of them. Everyone loved it but I was disappointed that the skin wasn't more crispy. I was also a little sad that I didn't lay down any foil so the kettle got super greasy. You can even see a little grease fire in one of the pictures. Oh well, at least now it's dirty and I don't have to feel bad using it haha.

Few days later we had more friends over and I decided to follow the ABC kettle fried wings recipe. Instead of buffalo sauce I went with a Korean fried chicken sauce. KFC^2. Again I ended up being rushed and they weren't as crispy as I was hoping. I think either I brushed on the oil too thick or didn't let it cook long enough after flipping/brushing. Or both haha. Again everyone loved it. Sauce was okay in my opinion. I used garlic powder instead of chopped garlic and I think I used too much, but no one complained. At least they looked good in pictures haha

Sent from my Pixel using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 07:59:17 PM by Firemunkee »
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

rwalters

• Smokey Joe
Re: Breaking in the 26
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 08:07:44 PM »
Oh man, those look fantastic in pics :)

Have you ever tried adding baking powder into you rub? The BP works wonders as far as crisping up the skin.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 08:23:26 PM »
Thanks! I actually did that for the KFC. At the first flip 20 minutes in they were starting to crisp up nicely. That's what makes me think my fault was too much oil brushed on/not cooked long enough.  I will definitely be using BP for my wings going forward!
Oh man, those look fantastic in pics :)

Have you ever tried adding baking powder into you rub? The BP works wonders as far as crisping up the skin.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Breaking in the 26
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 07:04:40 AM »

Congrats on the 26 and the wings look great.

One thing I have been doing on the 26 specifically is for wings I always do a two zone set up like your last batch BUT I run with the lid slightly cracked in the front the entire time. This will fix your skin issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 07:35:13 AM »
The last half of the cook is most critical to achieve high temps imo. You can bring them up to temp slower at the beginning if you prefer but anticipate for high temps at the 15-20 minute mark and crack the lid. Another 25 minutes then sauce and put back on for another ten at super high temps. They will come out crispy.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 08:05:59 AM »
The last half of the cook is most critical to achieve high temps imo. You can bring them up to temp slower at the beginning if you prefer but anticipate for high temps at the 15-20 minute mark and crack the lid. Another 25 minutes then sauce and put back on for another ten at super high temps. They will come out crispy.

excellent advice
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 08:45:05 AM »
@HoosierKettle YOU ARE THE MAN!! Thanks!! This place is great! I will definitely report back with the results.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2019, 08:36:51 AM »
@HoosierKettle  I finally got around to making wings again and followed your instructions. My wife and 3yo declared these are the best I've made! Super crispy! And they are just SPG. Wife said no sauce because it will take away from the taste of the wings! Thank you for sharing your wisdom!!!!

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2019, 08:40:33 AM »
good lookin wangs, a thumbs up from the family is always welcome news
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2019, 08:56:33 AM »
Awesome!  Glad it worked out. My wife prefers plain wings as well. They are definitely crispier. I was in trouble last time because I sauced them all. I’m always in the doghouse for something.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2019, 09:03:57 AM »
Awesome!  Glad it worked out. My wife prefers plain wings as well. They are definitely crispier. I was in trouble last time because I sauced them all. I’m always in the doghouse for something.

LOL @HoosierKettle is your doghouse like mine? my key gets me in but won't let me out

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2019, 09:06:25 AM »
My 3yo daughter's plate. She ate as many wings as my wife [emoji23]

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2019, 09:36:46 AM »

you should have held back 1 wing until she finished her green beans LOL awesome testimonial though

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2019, 12:45:45 PM »
She finished them shortly after. She is the "have the best first" kinda girl lol

you should have held back 1 wing until she finished her green beans LOL awesome testimonial though