Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vacation 2019  (Read 465 times)

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Vacation 2019
« on: September 02, 2019, 06:46:23 PM »
We’re near Destin Florida for vacation this year. Staying at a beach resort which is pretty fun for the kiddos as it has a huge water park in the middle of the resort and we have private beach access. I couldn’t pack a charcoal grill, against the rules. The resort has natural gas Weber Genesis grills all around the pool area, if one is available you just light it and cook.

This is my first time cooking on gas in 4 years. Also, it really sucks that there isn’t a meat thermometer in our condo. I wish I packed my Thermapen but oh well.

Tonight was scary as hell though. I did 2 bone in split breasts and 4 bone in thighs, all for barbecue chicken. At the end of the cook I took the chicken off and walked it to our unit which is really close by. I came out to the grill to get my tongs and drink and to let a bit of my mess burn off the grates. Next thing I see is the temp gauge peg at 700. Oh shit! Grease fire! There were extinguishers in the area so I grabbed one if shit went south. I obviously turned off the burners and watched the flames keep shooting out of the sides of the lid. Praying it would calm down, after about 10 minutes it started to. Once the flames were done coming out the sides I put the extinguisher back and and headed to our condo. I noticed more flames coming out of the back so I stood there to make sure they calmed down. Once I couldn’t see anymore glowing I went inside.

I really miss my Kettles. I always do my thighs indirect with a pan and I’ve only had one grease fire in a kettle after a really greasy cook. 

Rant about gassers. A bitch to keep clean, a lot of money up front, a lot of money in parts to keep it running, and less control IMO than Kettles.

Next trip out I’ll get a big box of baking soda to take with me to the grill for the rest of the trip.

Hope you all had a great holiday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
Re: Vacation 2019
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 03:59:54 AM »
Sounds like fun! I could use a vacation