Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pork Tenderloin  (Read 564 times)

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
Pork Tenderloin
« on: July 27, 2019, 04:48:26 PM »
I grilled pork tenderloin tonight without using the Slow ‘N Sear on the Kettle for the first time in years. The meat was from Trader Joe’s and pretty small.

I rubbed one with salt, pepper, and garlic powder; the other I used a BBQ Pit Boy rub recipe from an old video of theirs on pork tenderloin. Cooked it direct over medium heat. It turned out nice, though the bark left something to be desired.

What other techniques do you guys use for pork tenderloin? Has anyone experimented between smoking it and using direct heat? Was there a great difference in flavor?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Re: Pork Tenderloin
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 06:38:04 PM »
Nice. I have been doing them all summer. My go-to method is one fully lit chimney in the SNSXL (no water) in my 26.75. Indirect side for about 40 minutes or 145-155. Rest and slice. As for rubs if I’m trying to repurpose...then BPS Jallelujah or Killer Hogs AP. Otherwise rub with Oakridge Secret Weapon.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 09:57:54 AM »
Nice. I have been doing them all summer. My go-to method is one fully lit chimney in the SNSXL (no water) in my 26.75. Indirect side for about 40 minutes or 145-155. Rest and slice. As for rubs if I’m trying to repurpose...then BPS Jallelujah or Killer Hogs AP. Otherwise rub with Oakridge Secret Weapon.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Thanks! I'll have to try this method next time--and get my hands on some Killer Hogs AP rub. I'm a fan of Malcom Reed's YouTube channel and have been meaning to get some of his stuff.
A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 10:39:27 AM »
If you have wsm, you can go top rack no water pan.

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019, 10:43:12 AM »

No water pan though? Wouldn't I risk the pork drying out if there wasn't extra moisture in the WSM?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Pork Tenderloin
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2019, 10:46:51 AM »

No water pan though? Wouldn't I risk the pork drying out if there wasn't extra moisture in the WSM?

Nope. The only way it will dry out is if you overcook it. And you still get the flavor and benefits of direct cooking.

You can cook all sorts of things this way

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=36104.msg364264#msg364264

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2019, 01:33:20 PM »

Nope. The only way it will dry out is if you overcook it. And you still get the flavor and benefits of direct cooking.

You can cook all sorts of things this way

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=36104.msg364264#msg364264

Ah, I see! Thanks!

crizpynutz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2019, 06:08:33 AM »
I've done braided loins which my family loves because it gets more of the rub flavor on the meat.  I don't have a pick with me but I do remember reading a couple threads here someplace that had them.

EDIT:  Here's a link someone else shared:  https://www.smoking-meat.com/june-6-2013-braided-smoked-pork-tenderloin