Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Beer Bread.  (Read 4699 times)

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
Beer Bread.
« on: June 12, 2013, 06:13:02 PM »
This was the best beer bread I have ever made or eaten! I used a bottle of the Red Stripe I had left over from the Jerk chicken I cooked on Sunday. I made this up when I got home....I usually eat at work....My wife and the family didn't eat until late...the bread was not supposed to be part of their dinner but it was done at the same time and it stole the show!

If it needs to be Heated to be Eated, I can do it on my Weber!

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
Re: Beer Bread.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 06:19:10 PM »
I just wanted to add.....one more reason I love the lid on the Platinum....As I do any long cook/cook with the lid shut, I can easily see the status of the food through the top vent with a flashlight. This allows me to see how my bread,pizza or whatever is coming along without losing any heat. I know that you can do the same thing with a standard lid but I can view the entire grate without having to spin the lid . Man I love my Weber! :)

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 06:22:25 PM »
Nice job! Please tell more about the technique. Funny, I also use the flashlight method for pizzas.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 06:42:42 PM »
Wait, you had left over beer! :o ::)   ;D  Looks good so far!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 06:47:04 PM »
About half a chimney of mostly lit charcoal in a pile towards the front of the kettle....temp about 350 -375 range. Cast iron pan opposite the coals, bake for about 45 minutes. I checked to see if it was done at 45 minutes with a toothpick.I turned the pan once about half way through the cook.I have baked on my Weber almost as much as I have done any other kind of cook.  Even if I wasn't posting on a Weber Kettle forum I would stand by the kettle as one of the best ovens for baking bar none!

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 04:20:18 AM »
Looks good, can you post the recipe?
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 06:18:04 AM »
Sure.
3 cups of all purpose flour(must be sifted!)
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 12 ounce bottle or can of beer ( I used Red Stripe because I had some on hand )
 Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Make sure that you sift the flour! If you skip the sifting you will get a crust that will get brick hard!
Add the beer and stir it in. Mix well.
Put it in a pan or skillet (grease the pan)and bake for 45-60 minutes at around 375 degrees. Keep an eye on it, once the top crust starts to brown check it with a toothpick or knife....poke it in the center....if the toothpick comes out without dough stuck to it then it is done. I used a cast iron skillet....if you use cast iron take it out as soon as you pull it from the grill or oven or the bottom will continue to cook. Serve hot with butter. It is also good left over at room temp, if there is any left over!

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 06:51:52 AM »
Sure.
3 cups of all purpose flour(must be sifted!)
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 12 ounce bottle or can of beer ( I used Red Stripe because I had some on hand )
 Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Make sure that you sift the flour! If you skip the sifting you will get a crust that will get brick hard!
Add the beer and stir it in. Mix well.
Put it in a pan or skillet (grease the pan)and bake for 45-60 minutes at around 375 degrees. Keep an eye on it, once the top crust starts to brown check it with a toothpick or knife....poke it in the center....if the toothpick comes out without dough stuck to it then it is done. I used a cast iron skillet....if you use cast iron take it out as soon as you pull it from the grill or oven or the bottom will continue to cook. Serve hot with butter. It is also good left over at room temp, if there is any left over!

Thanks! I like that it doesn't have dairy so my wife could eat it. Problem is I don't have a sifter and don't want to buy one for just one recipe! lol

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 06:55:40 AM »
You can make beer bread without sifting the flour, BUT no matter what recipe you use I can say without a doubt that you will need a chainsaw to cut the top crust! Even with the crust being so hard it is some good eating when it is hot off the grill but it will be a substantial crunch when you eat it and once you let it cool to room temp and eat it the next day for instance it will be very tough or chewy. I will say this, a sifter can't be too expensive and even if I had to buy one just for this bread I would because it is GREAT bread!

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 07:35:14 AM »
Is it 3 cups of flour then sift or do you need to sift the flour before you measure the 3 cups?

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 11:10:55 AM »
Just dump 3 cups of all purpose into the sifter and the sift. The amount is not super critical but sifting will insure that the crust comes out geart and not hard as diamonds.

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2013, 05:54:54 PM »
Here we go, sifter less. I used a whisk to get some air into the flour.

The results were great! I used appalachian brewing company trail blaze which is an organic brown ale.

teerhardy

• WKC Brave
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2013, 06:22:29 PM »
Looks great and thanks for sharing the recipe! I'll make a batch this week.
Grey 22.5" OTS H
Copper 22.5" OTG... that's right I turned copper into gold.
Black 22.5" SS Performer

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2013, 07:18:02 PM »
How did it turn out? It looks pretty good.

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 04:01:37 AM »
How did it turn out? It looks pretty good.

It turned out great! I was worried that whisking the flour wouldn't be enough but it seemed to be fine. Thanks for sharing the recipe!