Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How can i get it hot enough  (Read 1441 times)

meopilite

• Happy Cooker
How can i get it hot enough
« on: May 12, 2019, 02:52:47 PM »
Just purchased a 22" kettle grill. Used to use a charcoal rectangular design grill that I could easily get up to 450 deg. with minimal amount of coals. My new kettle grill is hard to get past 200 deg. I use plenty of coals and use a chimney starter. I have vents completely open. Seems like it just doesn't get enough air, although vents are open and clear of ash.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: How can i get it hot enough
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 03:13:30 PM »
Not enough info or bad charcoal. A full chimney in a 22 easily hits 450-600

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

5280Jeff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 03:30:48 PM »
I’ve seen people use the ash catcher as a charcoal tray and have problems getting temps up. Pics of your set up would help greatly.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 03:56:39 PM »
Crack the lid give it more air when warming it up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Zinn

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 04:34:48 PM »
Add a 2nd lid exhaust vent.

wgjones3

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 06:30:50 PM »
When are you dumping your chimney? I always wait until I have flames coming out the top of mine. It’s pretty daggum hot at that point.

cookingjnj

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 07:05:22 PM »
I agree with wgjones3.  My chimney is pretty hot with flames from coming from the top.  Tonight, I poured my charcoal into the pit at that pont.  I covered and the pit maxed out past 600 based on dome temp gauge.  Steaks seared and cooked awesome.   

Chetter

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2019, 07:13:00 PM »
I’ve seen people use the ash catcher as a charcoal tray and have problems getting temps up. Pics of your set up would help greatly.

I've never seen this. I get, if you've never used a charcoal grill and/or you dont read directions, how one might think this is right. I do need to see pictures though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 08:24:32 AM »
1) Is the grill plugged in?
2) Did you turn on the power?
3) Just kidding about the above two and while I do THINK it goes without saying, you just never know, but there are the vents on the bottom of the kettle along with the vents on the top.  The ones on the bottom are either daisy wheels (like the top), or if new, it is control by the ash sweeps that the little handle that just out from the bottom is attached to. 

Good luck.  As others mentioned, posting pictures would be helpful.

Just purchased a 22" kettle grill. Used to use a charcoal rectangular design grill that I could easily get up to 450 deg. with minimal amount of coals. My new kettle grill is hard to get past 200 deg. I use plenty of coals and use a chimney starter. I have vents completely open. Seems like it just doesn't get enough air, although vents are open and clear of ash.
regards,
Hal

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 09:33:22 AM »
Pellet grill propagandist? I feel like if I joined up to ask a questions then I would be the king back for the answers. Or maybe he did have his ash pan in there and he now feels ashamed?

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 10:18:43 AM »
I was actually thinking of posting that if he feels embarrassed, he can always create a different handle to come back under or just "modify" his post.  Everyone has done stupid things, asked stupid questions, or whatever.

Also, I can understand someone believing the external ash pan is either an internal ashpan or for putting the coals on.  I've purchased more than one (typically older) kettle where the person stored the ashpan on the inside.  I've even bought one where the seller had gotten the grill from someone else & never used it & didn't appear to be familiar with Webers either.  In one case, the seller noticed theirs differed from other's pics (or maybe someone asked because they did have calls about this one) about the pan & they assumed the pan was missing, but it was inside the grill under the grates. 

Usually the grills I've found with the pan stored inside seemed to have been lightly used or just taken care of really well.  I've seen it more on older grills, so I'm guessing it was more the old school take care of what you purchased sort of thing.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 10:21:47 AM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

meopilite

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 01:42:08 PM »
The tips of letting coals get really hot in the chimney starter and cracking the lid a bit seemed to help a lot. Thanks.

One nice thing I've noticed about the kettle grill, it cooks the food better without burning the crap out of it. My old rectangular grill would basically burn the outside of the food while leaving the inside of meat raw.

5280Jeff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2019, 01:42:16 PM »
A few years ago I gifted my nephew an old kettle of mine when my collection started getting a little too big. I put the ash catcher inside the kettle when I drove it over just so I didn’t lose it from the back of my pickup. I didn’t bother to explain how to set it up I just figured most people had seen a kettle. Well I went over for some burgers and sure enough it was inside with a big load of charcoal smoldering under some really slow cooking burgers. We straightened it out and had a good laugh followed by some good burgers.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2019, 05:10:38 PM »
That is hilarious.  I'm pretty certain I only saw it in a picture of a listing, but it might have been in person, where one was inside the grill & had so much crap on it that I wondered if someone had burned coals on it.
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 06:07:08 PM »
I'm glad that worked out.  These really are nice for cooking in various ways.  If you enjoy cooking outdoors, you are going to have some fun.

The tips of letting coals get really hot in the chimney starter and cracking the lid a bit seemed to help a lot. Thanks.

One nice thing I've noticed about the kettle grill, it cooks the food better without burning the crap out of it. My old rectangular grill would basically burn the outside of the food while leaving the inside of meat raw.
regards,
Hal