Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hot & fast spare ribs.  (Read 1071 times)

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Hot & fast spare ribs.
« on: April 30, 2019, 04:57:44 PM »
Smoked at 320-340F for 1 1/2 hour and wrapped for 1 hour.  No sauce.

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
Re: Hot & fast spare ribs.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 05:04:12 PM »
They look good—sweet setup. Do you notice a difference in flavor between low-and-slow ribs versus hot-and-fast?

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 05:42:30 PM »
Great looking bones...
So do you use a step ladder to load and unload that setup???

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Hot & fast spare ribs.
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 05:45:24 PM »
Great looking bones...
So do you use a step ladder to load and unload that setup???
My kid's chair is sufficient[emoji3]

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 06:06:41 PM »
They look good—sweet setup. Do you notice a difference in flavor between low-and-slow ribs versus hot-and-fast?

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
There's a slight different flavor between hot & fast and low & slow.  Hard to explain the difference but i prefer the flavor profile of hot & fast. Maybe it has to do with the drippings  on the coals burning more cleanly  at the higher temperature. 

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 06:37:58 PM »
As the late, great Stuart Scott once said: "Holler at a player when you see him in the street!"

Those bones look excellent!

Erictag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 08:00:51 PM »
Ive never seen hanging ribs wrapped- very cool !!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 08:07:02 PM »
Ive never seen hanging ribs wrapped- very cool !!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
It works very well. I use a plastic squeeze condiment bottle and pour liquid at the top every 20 minutes. 

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2019, 03:50:38 AM »
Those look incredible. As you know, I’ve been planning on getting a stacker set up for sometime. Still plan on doing so, but in the meantime, my gateway rack should be arriving today. Can’t wait.

I have access to stainless sheet metal. Is making a vortex as simple as it looks?  Just cut a circle then cut and bend the fins?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2019, 04:33:16 AM »

Those look incredible. As you know, I’ve been planning on getting a stacker set up for sometime. Still plan on doing so, but in the meantime, my gateway rack should be arriving today. Can’t wait.

I have access to stainless sheet metal. Is making a vortex as simple as it looks?  Just cut a circle then cut and bend the fins?

If you have more money than time, Hunsaker makes a vortex basket like that. They also make the Vortex plate for $33. I just picked up a plate for my 22WSM.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2019, 04:37:10 AM »

If you have more money than time, Hunsaker makes a vortex basket like that. They also make the Vortex plate for $33. I just picked up a plate for my 22WSM.

Your awake awfully early. Do you plan on laying the plate on top of the ring? 

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2019, 04:50:35 AM »

The diffuser is very quick and simple to make.  Cut the sheet into  a circle  or octagon, cut fins, bend it to your desired angle.   Anything between 16 to 12 gauge should  work fine.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2019, 05:15:19 AM »

Your awake awfully early. Do you plan on laying the plate on top of the ring? 

5AM isn't terribly early.  ;D

But yes...It is designed to sit on the top of the charcoal ring. I can also probably lay it on the vortex cone that I have for my 26'er as well. I'd like to lightly season it before officially cooking on it. Haven't had time for either, but I am really excited to try out when it's ready to go. I am curious to see how much better it is than simply hanging over coals.

crizpynutz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2019, 08:47:45 AM »
I just had lunch and I'm hungry all over again!  Nice job!

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2019, 09:48:05 AM »

[/quote]

5AM isn't terribly early.  ;D

But yes...It is designed to sit on the top of the charcoal ring. I can also probably lay it on the vortex cone that I have for my 26'er as well. I'd like to lightly season it before officially cooking on it. Haven't had time for either, but I am really excited to try out when it's ready to go. I am curious to see how much better it is than simply hanging over coals.
[/quote]

The only way you  can find out how effective the diffuser is to run a side by side comparison using identical charcoal baskets, one with a diffuser and the other without. I don't have the real deal but with the diffuser, smoke  and heat are dispersed much more evenly throughout the cooking chamber.
No idea of the diameter for the Hunsaker but i made mine much larger to accommodate a snake and different sizes of baskets ranging from 9" to 18 1/2" in diameter.

Temperature is very consistent throughout.  Without the diffuser, the temperature at the top ( lid & top stacker thermometer) along with the lowest thermometer will be much higher than those at the middle.

Left: 20", 12 gauge
Right : 18 1/2", 16 gauge

I prefer the diffuser at roughly 4 1/2"-5" above the charcoal ring.

I use the diffuser for all the different charcoal configurations below.

Snake

18 1/2" basket

9 1/2" basket with drip pan.

12" basket with or without drip pan.