Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kick starter for a pellet adapter to a weber kettle... Thoughts?  (Read 2214 times)

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
It messes up the kettle profile and I am a grump and for those reasons... I am Out.

Buuutttttt it's pretty neat anyway and I am sure it's a nice middle ground for Weber/Pellet lovers.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1563041397/weber-kettle-pellet-adapter?ref=dxljz9
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 03:35:44 PM by Red_5_Wrangler »
ISO - CMist Go Anywhere, the cheif, yellow

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Kick starter for a pellet adapter to a weber kettle... Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 02:58:22 PM »
I think for the price it’s hard to beat if you’re getting into a pellet cooker.

Even value options like GMG’s and Grilla’s are going to run you more. It’s priced right IMHO. If you haven’t already ditched your Weber for a Traeger, this is still cheaper than a WSM or most temp controllers. If it comes with a diffuser...even better.

If you could only have one...it might be better to sell the Weber and spend a little more for a dedicated pellet grill with some better features.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 03:01:12 PM »
Not a fan. It’s mechanical. It will fail or break at some point. I wouldn’t trust leaving any pellet grill unattended. By unattended I mean leaving the house for hours at a time.

A snake or minion method will work every single time without worry rain or shine.

Speaking of rain. I doubt the adapter is meant to work in the weather. For that reason alone I wouldn’t like a pellet grill. I do have a covered area but didn’t for a long time. I greatly appreciate the kettle design and its rain performance.

In fact, if you look at the adapters design, rain water would run down the outside of the bowl directly in the fire. It will put the fire out. Game over.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 03:08:30 PM by HoosierKettle »

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 03:24:25 PM »
Not a fan. It’s mechanical. It will fail or break at some point. I wouldn’t trust leaving any pellet grill unattended. By unattended I mean leaving the house for hours at a time.

A snake or minion method will work every single time without worry rain or shine.

Speaking of rain. I doubt the adapter is meant to work in the weather. For that reason alone I wouldn’t like a pellet grill. I do have a covered area but didn’t for a long time. I greatly appreciate the kettle design and its rain performance.

True. Some augers are better than others. I’m also interested in the temp controller and if there is a sensor to monitor inside the kettle.

Yeah they aren’t the best looking units. I personally wouldn’t buy one because if I took the pellet leap, it would be for a Yoder or MAK.

Playing the devil’s advocate, Weber’s aren’t free from wear and tear issues either: grates, sweeps, bowl crazing. I’ve had all of those replaced on my newer 26’er.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
Re: Kick starter for a pellet adapter to a weber kettle... Thoughts?
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 11:01:06 AM »
I think it looks great. I see no reason to think the auger is worse or better than others. Time will tell.

If I wanted a pellet pooper I’d get this in a heartbeat. I’d much rather continue cooking with a kettle than with gasser shaped cooker.

I bet it wouldn’t be too hard to rig a barrier and turn it into a 2 zone cooker.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 05:46:20 AM »
Never saw the attraction to a pellet pooper, other than laziness, which the 2nd picture displays quite well... Not for me... no thank you very much.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

foshizzle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 07:16:32 AM »
It’s like a Weber with training wheels. Pellet smokers are an easy way for a person to transition from only using a gasser to wood flavored smoked food without having to deal with fire and coals. Think it’s a great idea.
Wondering if the market is better for existing Weber owners or for people that have only used gas and are looking for other options in BBQing. Think they should also sell a turn key package that includes a kettle for those people. Best of luck to the company hope they are successful.

CurtP

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 09:12:35 AM »
Hard pass for me.  If I want a pellet grill, I'll buy a dedicated one.

MDiBar

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 09:41:16 AM »
I have both charcoal grills (Weber kettles, Pk) and a pellet grill.  I enjoy cooking on both styles. 

nvandyke

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2019, 12:29:57 PM »
In the FAQ section it says it will fit Original Kettle 22", Original Kettle Premium 22", and Master Touch 22".  I cant possibly see how this would fit on my MT unless i removed the bowl and ring....thus defeating one of the purposes of buying the MT in the first place.

ABROB

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2019, 01:42:15 PM »
Agree - looks like it needs the ash catcher ring removed.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2019, 09:36:54 PM »
Also, it looks like the lid bale would need to come off.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2019, 02:57:41 AM »
Hard pass for me.  If I want a pellet grill, I'll buy a dedicated one.

This.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

duff645

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 04:19:21 PM »
I added a Cajun Bandit PelletPro on my WSM A and others have adapted it to their kettle. Works fine but not as good as charcoal. I mainly use mine in the winter time. I have detailed pics of my trials on the WSM section
ad fumant, condimentum in, ut serviant

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2019, 04:48:22 PM »
What @CurtP  said. If I want a pellet pooper I can probably get a dedicated one that works good cheaper than this add on.