Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Aura and the Snake  (Read 1203 times)

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Aura and the Snake
« on: April 01, 2019, 06:09:44 AM »
First experiment with Aura and a snake, learned a few things but she settled in nicely with a 2x1 snake at 225ish for 5 1/2 hours baby backs turned out nice with some hickory for smoke.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
Re: Aura and the Snake
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 07:53:18 AM »
That looks awesome! What were the things you learned?

Sent from my Pixel using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 08:31:50 AM »

Weber briquettes stink at lighting a snake( sorta already knew that) 3x2 snake would have been better. I ran top and bottom wide open and it took to long to get up to temp. with a 3x2 I would have gotten up to temp quicker and would have had more control of temp both high and low. With the Aura in place I am convinced you can hold grate temps at 195 - 210 for a long while. with the 2x1 snake wide open vents once the snake started rolling it locked in @ 235 for 5 hours
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 09:47:32 AM »
Fantastic looking ribs. How long did you leave them on after you sauced?  I need to try a low and slow rib cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 10:02:18 AM »
Fantastic looking ribs. How long did you leave them on after you sauced?  I need to try a low and slow rib cook.

30 minutes give or take , I sauced twice so about 15 minutes or so each time, cracked the lid to get some more heat to set the sauce, worked well

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 12:48:46 AM »
Nice Joe Joe.  Those grates on the Aura are for real.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 04:32:54 AM »
Killer ribs [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

EddieGrillz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 02:44:21 PM »
Now that's grate!!

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 08:23:56 PM »

Weber briquettes stink at lighting a snake( sorta already knew that) 3x2 snake would have been better. I ran top and bottom wide open and it took to long to get up to temp. with a 3x2 I would have gotten up to temp quicker and would have had more control of temp both high and low. With the Aura in place I am convinced you can hold grate temps at 195 - 210 for a long while. with the 2x1 snake wide open vents once the snake started rolling it locked in @ 235 for 5 hours
Thanks for sharing what you've learned. I didn't know that Weber briquettes aren't great for the snake setup.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2019, 04:04:14 AM »

Thanks for sharing what you've learned. I didn't know that Weber briquettes aren't great for the snake setup.

They actually are good for the snake part just not that great for your starter coals to get the snake going

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2019, 05:33:23 AM »

They actually are good for the snake part just not that great for your starter coals to get the snake going

If you have a Costco nearby they have kingsford pro on sale. They light super fast for a briquette. The fastest of any I’ve tried.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2019, 05:41:50 PM »

Ah gotcha. I misread. Thanks for correcting me

Pete

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 07:16:19 AM »
I have a Question on Snake method.  As the coals light do you get that start up taste in your food.  I  have tried this and feel I can taste a not good smoke taste in the food.  I am using Kingsford Original never any lighter fluid involved.  But I Feel I get the taste in the food as when the chimney is first started and all that white smoke smell.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 07:36:25 AM »
I have a Question on Snake method.  As the coals light do you get that start up taste in your food.  I  have tried this and feel I can taste a not good smoke taste in the food.  I am using Kingsford Original never any lighter fluid involved.  But I Feel I get the taste in the food as when the chimney is first started and all that white smoke smell.
If you have the proper amount of starter coals and completely ashed over to start your snake you shouldn't get that taste at least I don't, plus I always like the top vent wide open for clean smoke