Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pinchos Morunos or "Moorish skewers."  (Read 874 times)

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
Pinchos Morunos or "Moorish skewers."
« on: March 31, 2019, 04:47:53 PM »
Decided to cook some pork because I have been beefed and chickened to death.  I scanned the net and found a great grilled pork recipe.  Pinchos Morunos with roughly translated is Moorish Skewers.  Great recipe with alot of spices.  Here is the link. 

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/07/grilling-pinchos-morunos-recipe.html

Did the recipe straight up and also grilled some veggie skewers to go along with it.  Awesome look and packed with flavor.  Great company dish.  Also served with my wife's famous home made lemon rice.  Pics...

OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Re: Pinchos Morunos or "Moorish skewers."
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 04:54:30 PM »
WOW those look good!!!  I love pork tenderloin and this is going to be something I do soon.  I make a peruvian chicken sandwich that I got from serious eats. Would your wife share her rice recipe?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 05:33:39 PM »
WOW those look good!!!  I love pork tenderloin and this is going to be something I do soon.  I make a peruvian chicken sandwich that I got from serious eats. Would your wife share her rice recipe?

I will ask her about the rice.  Sometimes she guards some recipes but I think she will share this one.  I will get back to you.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 05:37:38 PM »
Right on, and I’ll understand.

CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 02:18:10 AM »
Looks and sounds incredible.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 04:03:13 AM »
Wow that looks so appealing with all the colors going on and then the plated shot, awesome!!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 07:46:20 AM »
That looks excellent! Thanks for sharing the skewers recipe. I'd also be interested in the recipe for the rice if that becomes available

Sent from my Pixel using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Transit98

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 01:47:43 PM »
Also interested in that lemon rice!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

mahnamahna

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 01:51:27 PM »
Great meal and pictures!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2019, 03:35:18 PM »
OK you guys @varekai  @Firemunkee  @Transit98  she says it's a go on the rice recipe.  Goes as follows...

Greek Lemon-Herb Rice Pilaf Recipe

Ingredients:
1 1/2 Tablespoons butter or extra virgin olive oil
3-4 cloves garlic; minced fine
1/2 large onion; finely chopped (white, brown, yellow or 1/2 a small red)
1 1/2 cups long grain white Basmati or Jasmine rice*; uncooked
1 1/4 cups chicken broth
1 cup water
2 large lemons; (zest from 2 lemons plus 4 Tablespoons juice)
3 Tablespoons FRESH parsley; very finely chopped
3 Tablespoons other FRESH herb; (can use dill or substitute with parsley, oregano, basil, chives, mint or marjoram OR a mix of any of these to equal 3 Tablespoons)
salt and cayenne pepper to taste
optional pinch of turmeric for color and taste 

Instructions:

1.  In a large saucepan or small pot with a tight fighting lid, spray with non-stick spray lightly and then heat the oil or butter over medium heat.

2.  Add the onion and cook for 4 minutes until translucent and sweet. Add the garlic and cook an additional minute or two.

3.  Add the rice.  Stir continuously until the rice turns mostly translucent. 

4.  Add both the broth and the water.  Bring the rice to a boil. Let boil a few seconds and then drop the heat to low and place the lid on the pot/pan.

5. Cook the rice on low for EXACTLY 12 minutes or until the water is evaporated.

6.  Remove the pot/pan from the burner and LEAVE THE LID ON. Let it rest for 10 MINUTES EXACTLY COVERED.

7.  At the end of 10 minutes, remove the lid.  Stir in the lemon zest, lemon juice, herbs, salt and cayenne to taste. Fluff with fork to separate grains and incorporate herbs and lemon juice before serving.   

8.  Rice is perfect served warm or at room temperature.  Cut the second lemon up and use as garnish and to squeeze extra juice upon rice when serving. Enjoy! :D

*CHEF'S NOTES PER MY WIFE ......
DO NOT try to make this recipe with anything other than long grain rice that is either a Basmati or Jasmine or it will not work!!!
DO NOT use short grain, medium grain, converted, instant, brown or Paella or Risotto style rices.
Do NOT try to substitute all chicken stock for the water. It won't cook up the same. It won't come out 'fluffy' but 'gooey and sticky' instead. 
DO NOT use dried herbs and bottled lemon juice. It will not taste the same. 
Make sure to follow the times EXACTLY and the rice will turn out perfectly every time. :D 

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2019, 03:45:51 PM »
Sounds great, tell your wife thank you, one question, can i use minute rice?...LOL, just kidding, I saw the EXPLICIT chef notes.

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2019, 03:58:28 PM »
Sounds great, tell your wife thank you, one question, can i use minute rice?...LOL, just kidding, I saw the EXPLICIT chef notes.

LOL!

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2019, 07:30:53 AM »
Thanks for sharing the recipe!!!

Sent from my Pixel using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.