Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: temperature control  (Read 690 times)

cossack joe

• Happy Cooker
temperature control
« on: February 22, 2019, 12:36:22 PM »
I see the #250 often as far as 250 degrees. On a kettle, how do you keep the temp low to cook at 250 for a long time? Also how do you then get the temp screaming for a sear (reverse sear for example)?

Do you fill a charcoal igniter full or half?

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
Re: temperature control
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 01:49:04 PM »
I see the #250 often as far as 250 degrees. On a kettle, how do you keep the temp low to cook at 250 for a long time? Also how do you then get the temp screaming for a sear (reverse sear for example)?

As far as keeping it at 250 it really depend on you grill. If you grill is well seasoned on the inside it will hold the heat around the lip so the heat will not escape. If its newer it will take a few cooks to get a nice seal around the lip. 

Now to sear I keep the lid off and get it nice and hot then sear the steak then remove and place on cooler side inside a cast iron pan to catch all the drippings. I sometimes will add very little beef broth, onions, Worcestershire sauce just a splash. Once the steak is about med/rare I place the steak on top of onions. Shut down the grill and leave the steak on top of the onions on the cool side for about 8min or so or so.

And Remember...

Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 03:20:27 PM »
It takes practice.  Every kettle is different.  Like Shoestringshop said it depends on grill age and amount of use.  Also depends on ambient temps,  type of fuel used and what fuel burning technique you are doing.  After a while you will be able to eyball your settings and go.  Give it time.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 03:44:06 PM by Davescprktl »
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 05:11:15 PM »
Many times i will dump a pile of unlit lump on one side of the grill...Then I add 6-12 fully lit briqs and put on the lid with all vents wide open...When lid temps start to climb I pinch the bottom vents...If no smoking wood is used I can also use the top vents...Usually the lid temps will settle in around 300 which equates to around 250 at the grates...

Practice...Lots of fires...Practice some more...Soon enough it all makes sense...

pancho2017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 07:41:13 PM »
What worked for me was using four large binder clips for the little amount of leakage, 3/6/9/12 o'clock I had miniscule smoke coming from the lid/bowl seal on a nearly new China made LE whilst using the SNS.

Just following the instructions they give I set it and forgot about it for about 8+ hours and could have gone another 1-2 more easily.

For searing it depends on what you're cooking, fire up 30-40 new coals and sear it up.

You gotta remember we're not building cabinets here we are just making a meal so no need for perfection.

Have fun and enjoy cooking on your Weber you will find out what works best for you.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 07:45:07 PM by pancho2017 »

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 05:43:16 PM »

It depends...how are you setting up, and what are you cooking?