Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hanging chicken tikka  (Read 1093 times)

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Hanging chicken tikka
« on: February 12, 2019, 07:40:24 PM »
Chicken thighs, skinned, deboned and cubed.  Marinated in lemon juice, garlic, ginger, garam masala, chili powder, paprika, salt, and ghee for 4 hours. 

Hung in the WSM over RO lump for about 25 minutes. 

Big thanks to Chiku18 for arranging for these custom hangers which replicate the gateway hangers but are 12” long.  I love them, opens up so many possibilities!

Thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 08:08:29 PM by Mr.CPHo »

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Hanging chicken tikka
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 02:43:04 AM »
Wow that looks delicious
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 04:25:48 AM »
Wow so much amazing going on here! I like how you modded the lower grate to give room to hang meat but leave a little space for some things

Sent from my Pixel using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 05:26:54 AM »
Whoa! Nice job Charlie...

Can you show us that lower grate setup? Did you run the WSM with the door off the whole time?

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 05:43:22 AM »
The lower grate is simply one of these grates with the cast iron insert removed. 

I closed both the lid and door after hanging the skewers.  I monitored temps through the grommet and it ran at about 425F.  Next time I’ll use more fuel to gain higher temps, or drop the gateway hanger down to the lower level, or a combination of the two to get a nice char.  You can see here in the second pic I loweRed the skewers to the bottom rack for a few minutes to get a nice crispy texture on the outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 05:55:00 AM »
Awesome picture and cook. Especially that last picture of the fire!!!!  I love fire lol.

I have trouble getting my wsm to get above 325. I guess I need to revisit higher temp cooking on my wsm.

The funny thing is when i first started using the wsm, I remember having trouble with run away temps.  Now I can’t seem to get it hot anymore. Probably just not starting off with enough lit.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 06:02:03 AM »
Awesome picture and cook. Especially that last picture of the fire!!!!  I love fire lol.

I have trouble getting my wsm to get above 325. I guess I need to revisit higher temp cooking on my wsm.

The funny thing is when i first started using the wsm, I remember having trouble with run away temps.  Now I can’t seem to get it hot anymore. Probably just not starting off with enough lit.

Try rubbing the WSM a little before startup, that usually heats things up for me
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 06:07:06 AM »

Try rubbing the WSM a little before startup, that usually heats things up for me

I’ll do that and talk dirty to it and report back. Should do the trick.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 08:22:39 AM »

If you are cooking direct using a wsm or stacker, make sure to preheat your cooker to a much higher temperature than your actual target cooking temperature.  For instance if you want to cook at 400F, preheat to  at least 450F and wait for at least 10 minutes to allow the walls, lids, and grate(s) to heat up. The reason being is that the excess water/moisture on the meat will drip down on the lit coals and therefore drastically lowering the temperature especially on the first 15 minutes of the cook. After 20-30 minutes the water drippings will be replaced with mostly oily drippings which  then help fuel  your coals. At this point your coals will burn freely and the temperature will rise rapidly.

To remove excess water/moisture on the meat before cooking, air dry it for a minimum of 1 hour. Just place it in a large baking pan with a drying rack.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 02:10:08 PM »
The lower grate is simply one of these grates with the cast iron insert removed. 

I closed both the lid and door after hanging the skewers.  I monitored temps through the grommet and it ran at about 425F.  Next time I’ll use more fuel to gain higher temps, or drop the gateway hanger down to the lower level, or a combination of the two to get a nice char.  You can see here in the second pic I loweRed the skewers to the bottom rack for a few minutes to get a nice crispy texture on the outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Thanks for sharing. Hanging the bread as well! So pro!

Sent from my Pixel using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 07:39:08 PM »
Looks amazing as always!  Looks delicious!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 11:04:58 PM »

If you are cooking direct using a wsm or stacker, make sure to preheat your cooker to a much higher temperature than your actual target cooking temperature.  For instance if you want to cook at 400F, preheat to  at least 450F and wait for at least 10 minutes to allow the walls, lids, and grate(s) to heat up. The reason being is that the excess water/moisture on the meat will drip down on the lit coals and therefore drastically lowering the temperature especially on the first 15 minutes of the cook. After 20-30 minutes the water drippings will be replaced with mostly oily drippings which  then help fuel  your coals. At this point your coals will burn freely and the temperature will rise rapidly.

To remove excess water/moisture on the meat before cooking, air dry it for a minimum of 1 hour. Just place it in a large baking pan with a drying rack.

That's an alternative version of the stall...instead of evaporative cooling of the meat. And it mostly works.

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 12:52:29 PM »
Looks freakin’ delicious.  Think I’ll be putting my hanging meat rack to use copying your cook. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

mojo2454

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 02:53:54 PM »
Wow, amazing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2019, 05:50:19 AM »
That sounds awesome Charlie. Not familiar with many of the ingredients but looks great. Hanging sounds like it would be a fun way of cooking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk