Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Royal Oak Classic briquettes  (Read 1069 times)

robs2

• WKC Brave
Royal Oak Classic briquettes
« on: February 08, 2019, 01:42:26 PM »
First time using these coals and man, am I disappointed. I can’t seem to get these to half the temps I can get Weber briquettes. After 15 min in a chimney, can still put my hand right on top of the chimney and easily leave it there for 10 seconds.

Cooked with it the other night on a calm, 70-degree day, and with a slow-n-sear and vents wide open (even cocked the lid eventually), I couldn’t get the grate temp over 375. That’s fine for a slow cook...

Are these coals known to be cool-burning?  Could I have a bad bag? 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 01:49:06 PM by robs2 »

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
Re: Royal Oak Classic briquettes
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 01:53:35 PM »
I have had great success with RO, indirect, direct, and low and slow.  I've not had problems getting high temps. 

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 05:31:27 PM »
I use the RO all natural...No problems here...I will admit that in the Vortex that KBB will reach higher temps...

KettleMaster

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 01:33:02 PM »
I found no issues with those either...reliable and not pricey

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 02:00:19 PM »
I bought a bag of gfs charcoal that is ro ridge for grilling at work functions.

It completely sucks. Slow to start, not as hot, burned up quicker. Pretty much worthless.

I’ve had success with ro briqs in the past but I’ve had trouble with the last couple of bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

robs2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 02:12:47 PM »

It completely sucks. Slow to start, not as hot, burned up quicker. Pretty much worthless.

I’ve had success with ro briqs in the past but I’ve had trouble with the last couple of bags.

Agree, Hoosier. Most definitely something wrong with the RO. I bought this bag last week at Lowe’s. Cooked with it 5 times since. A challenge each time.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 03:02:52 PM by robs2 »

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 02:24:03 PM »
More pricey  at $9.50/ 20# but royal oak chef select are excellent.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 05:38:32 PM »

This is my experience with every RO ridge bag I have (and I have a dozen when I got them for $2 a piece). Really disappointing

Sent from my Pixel using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 08:41:36 PM »

This is my experience with every RO ridge bag I have (and I have a dozen when I got them for $2 a piece). Really disappointing

Darn it. I bought a bag of ridge the other day to see if I had just got a bad batch before.  I might just return it to save the disappointment.

Last time I used it to feed the guys at work, it took two hours to cook some chicken legs and I had to reload. It was ridiculous and I’m still getting razzed about it. I was so pissed lol.

pancho2017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 02:50:49 AM »
I bought a "used a few times" MT and the dude gave me nearly a full bag of Royal Oak. I threw the RO away without ever trying it. I use KBB it's always worked great for me.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 04:11:06 AM »

Darn it. I bought a bag of ridge the other day to see if I had just got a bad batch before.  I might just return it to save the disappointment.

Last time I used it to feed the guys at work, it took two hours to cook some chicken legs and I had to reload. It was ridiculous and I’m still getting razzed about it. I was so pissed lol.

I started doing half KBB and half RO just to get through it. KBB goes in the chimney first since it has no issues lighting, then RO. That said I still would not buy regular RO briquettes again. I do want to try their chef's select since I hear nothing but great things about it.

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 04:57:54 AM »
Royal Oak Classic is ok. I've noticed it doesn't get very hot as well.

Head to Walmart and get a bag of Royal Oak "All Natural." It's apparently the same formula as Chef Select. It starts quick and burns hot. I have really been impressed with it.

Its under $8 a bag every day and if I see it drop to $4-5 a bag I'm buying it all.

robs2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 05:02:51 AM »
Glad to hear I’m not crazy. My “give it a try” for RO classic ridged is one-and-done. Will try a couple of the others y’all have mentioned.

Unfortunately, I can’t find Weber briquettes anywhere around me anymore.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 05:15:17 AM »
RO red bag. No problems here.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2019, 06:13:41 AM »
Glad to hear I’m not crazy. My “give it a try” for RO classic ridged is one-and-done. Will try a couple of the others y’all have mentioned.

Unfortunately, I can’t find Weber briquettes anywhere around me anymore.

I don’t find Weber or chef select in my area. I haven’t looked very hard but I know it’s not in the box stores I frequent.

I’m looking forward to Costco stocking back up their 2 packs of kingsford pro. It is some great stuff and priced well too. It gets freaking hot. Not as long burning as Weber but it’s a easy fast lighting hot burning quality charcoal to use imo.

It could be ro is having some logistics issues in certain areas and the charcoal is delivered to the store damp. I’m not sure but it acts damp straight from the store shelf.

Or maybe it’s the handling at the store. Not sure but I haven’t had trouble with kingsford or ro lump straight from the store. It’s just the ridge.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 06:31:39 AM by HoosierKettle »