Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Need recommendations from grates to tools etc...  (Read 984 times)

M0710NM4N

• Happy Cooker
Need recommendations from grates to tools etc...
« on: February 06, 2019, 04:19:19 PM »
So I'm going to be the proud owner of a Master-Touch soon and figured the best place to look for suggestions to quality accessories would be right here at the WKC!

Originally I was thinking of getting the cast iron grate from Craycort, but I'm on the fence now if I really want to be bothered with maintaining the cast iron. Was thinking instead that I would get the Killa Grilla SS grate, unless there is something else out there better? If I do opt to go with the SS grate, then it just leaves me in a pickle for what option do I have if I want to do for example... a smashburger, because if I went cast iron I was going to pick up a Ballistic Griddle. Thoughts?

What is a good alternative to the standard wire grate brush? So much news surrounding the issues of the wire pieces getting stuck to grates and then to food?

Are the little starter cubes worth it or are there any better options for use with a chimney?

Also looking for suggestions for the following (no limit on price as I'm a firm believer ya get what ya pay for):

Quality gloves.
SS BBQ tool set.
Rolling grilling cart or nice square table with folding legs.
Best thermometer for use with Android.
Best place for good bulk seasoned wood chunks.

Anything else I'm forgetting?

I know Amazon is a great place to look for stuff, but I never much trusted in a lot of things on there as I have gotten burned in the past with knock-offs and just plain crappy products that had fake reviews.

EDIT: Out of curiosity, is the added cost of the Master-Touch worth it in the long run if I end up going with the Grilla grate? You lose the benefits of the gourmet system and end up paying an extra $60 or so for the lid holder, warming rack and the rubber piece on the vent handle. Has me scratching my head. Makes ya wonder why Weber doesn't sell SS options... like a SS gourmet system grate would be the icing on the cake.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 04:29:39 PM by M0710NM4N »

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
Re: Need recommendations from grates to tools etc...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 03:38:05 AM »
;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Need recommendations from grates to tools etc...
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 05:14:53 AM »
I think all the kettles in the line up are worth their respective price because they will last a very long time. Just depends which features are most important to you. If you go with master touch or greater, I recommend picking up a non gbs grate. I just get the $20 Weber grates but nothing wrong with spending the extra for stainless if that’s your preference.

If I was buying brand new, i would probably go premium and get a copper. No reason other than it’s cool to have a color and you still get the ash bucket.  On the other hand a lid bale is nice to have too.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

M0710NM4N

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 06:05:34 AM »
;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Where is this sold? I been looking around on Weber's site and can't locate it. And any idea how this stacks up to the Killa Grilla grate?

M0710NM4N

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 06:17:31 AM »
I think all the kettles in the line up are worth their respective price because they will last a very long time. Just depends which features are most important to you. If you go with master touch or greater, I recommend picking up a non gbs grate. I just get the $20 Weber grates but nothing wrong with spending the extra for stainless if that’s your preference.

If I was buying brand new, i would probably go premium and get a copper. No reason other than it’s cool to have a color and you still get the ash bucket.  On the other hand a lid bale is nice to have too.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

You are dead on with colors. I don't understand the logic behind selling the lesser expensive Premium Kettles with color choices but not the Master Touch. And yes the lid bale is a nice option... thinking I will just stick with the Master Touch and with the SS grate I can still use the warming rack and maybe down the road I might decide to delve into the Craycort cast iron. Because in my mind I was already thinking I could get 2 of the griddle and a pan insert and then have the Ballistic Griddle. But at around $300... just can't justify it right now on top of the maintenance required for it all.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 06:59:23 AM »
You can get a colored master touch just gonna have to pay for it.(aka ship from canada or have an agent meet you at the border) besides that i say rock the stock grate for now or get the stainless alternative from weber. Grill inserts will get what you need done if you are looking for cast iron. As for tools. The wood paddle scrapers are ok but i still like a solid wire brush to be able to get a hard scrub. Oiling your grates before use helps with food grime also. For tools, my favorite (weber) tools still to this day are the weber basics. Full stainless, fit good in your hand no muss no fuss just works. The weber "style" series is like an upgraded version of the basics.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 08:44:54 AM »
If this is going to be your first Weber kettle...I would suggest not to worry about the accessories right off the bat. Get cooking, learn the grill and your cooking preferences. After that, you will see what you want or need to help you achieve your goals. As far as gloves, go to a welding supply and get a good set of welding gloves. Tongs... go to a restaurant supply and get a set of 16-18" tongs.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 07:22:21 AM »
I agree with @Darko about the welding gloves, but I also have a pair mechanic's gloves that I use most of the time.

As far as BBQ tool sets, I think that most of them don't work as well as stuff you'd pick up for your kitchen.  For instance, I've used this style tong forever and think they're way better than anything you'd get in the grill section at Lowes:

Likewise, I think this works better than most BBQ kit spatulas:

Oh, and really like these brushes:

But the main thing is get that thing dirty ! ! !  (We can talk about Vortexes and the Slow n' Sear later . . .)

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 07:45:59 AM »
A good cordless drill is always a nice tool to have.
If you insist on using it for bbq, you can always insert a basting brush into the end, tighten the chuck up & then slather the hell out of whatever you are cooking.

More seriously, I've see others use a box of disposable latex (powder free) or nitrile gloves.  I started using them because they are nice to have to keep your hands clean (so you are not having to wash them a zillion times during a cook)& prevent cross contamination when handling raw meat.  I guess I COULD just use the tongs to place the meat on the grill (and then utilize heat to kill anything), but I have just always do that part by hand.  Yes, it can be HOT.
regards,
Hal

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 11:21:13 AM »
A good cordless drill is always a nice tool to have.
If you insist on using it for bbq, you can always insert a basting brush into the end, tighten the chuck up & then slather the hell out of whatever you are cooking.

More seriously, I've see others use a box of disposable latex (powder free) or nitrile gloves.  I started using them because they are nice to have to keep your hands clean (so you are not having to wash them a zillion times during a cook)& prevent cross contamination when handling raw meat.  I guess I COULD just use the tongs to place the meat on the grill (and then utilize heat to kill anything), but I have just always do that part by hand.  Yes, it can be HOT.

Thanks @PotsieWeber for mentioning this.  Shortly after a hit the "post" button I regretted not mentioning this.  I started using these when I was competing in KCBS.  I love them ! ! !  I even bought some thin cotton gloves that I can wear under them.  This gives me a lot more dexterity when pulling pork and handling other hot meats.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna