Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Roto Spit Rod Length  (Read 2148 times)

solidgoldstein

• WKC Brave
Roto Spit Rod Length
« on: January 30, 2019, 09:24:57 AM »
I came into a one touch 22” the other day on CL w/ a roto ring for 20 bucks. I drove 15 minutes and gladly handed the lady a twenty dollar bill, and flipped the one touch to a friend who needed a 22” for 30 bucks. Anyway you slice it, 10 bucks in your pocket and a roto ring is a ballin’ deal.

Now I need to add the rod, motor, forks etc. I know Cajun Bandit is quality stuff, but after looking around on their site and shopping all the different spit rods, I don’t see anything about what size spit rod I should get for a 22”. I’m thinking I will be getting a 5/16” spit, but am unclear as to what length I should get. measurement from the motor mount clip to the spit’s exit spot of the ring is 25.5”. Can anyone offer insight as to what length I should get? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
Re: Roto Spit Rod Length
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 01:54:36 PM »
Wish I could help, but I've got a 26er . . .

Great pick-up though ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Cellar2ful

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 02:00:28 PM »

This spit rod was posted on another thread that asked a similar question. In the description it says it is a direct fit replacement for a Weber spit rod.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-heavy-duty-5-16-square-stainless-direct-fit-rotisserie-shaft-spit-stick/222588267352
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 03:59:07 AM »
I bought a long weber spit and cut it down to length.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/weber-2290-spit-length/msg386659/#msg386659

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-grill-modifications-customs/angle-grinder-spit-sharpener/msg394286/#msg394286

I had a motor and just wanted the Weber spit/forks, picked up off eBay for $5.

This opens a whole world of options, including Weber rotisserie’s for gassers and third party.

If looking for a non Weber, I’d look at OneGrill.  I think this is what CB included with my excellent CB ring.

https://www.onegrill.com

There a few other brands too, that I am sure are fine. I see them frequently on sale for 20$-$30 as a kit with motor, bracket, spit, forks, and weight. Usually at change of season at hardware and big box stores.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 04:08:13 AM by ClubChapin »

Seth1025

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 05:38:28 PM »
2 NIB Bargains scored today. http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=36748

I had the same problem finding a spit rod.  The replacement off eBay worked great for me.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 10:19:51 PM »
The rod itself is 28.5 inches.  The handle adds about another 5 inches.  Total overall length is 35 inches, from tip to end of the ring on the handle.  It's .25 inches thick.

solidgoldstein

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 10:10:03 AM »

2 NIB Bargains scored today. http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=36748

I had the same problem finding a spit rod.  The replacement off eBay worked great for me.

Thanks Seth, and for the matter everyone, for the input. Seth, if that worked well for you I might give it a shot and order one! What type of motor do you have driving it? One of the OneGrill motors that you can buy several places online, or a Weber motor?

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 01:59:30 PM »
What type of motor do you have driving it? One of the OneGrill motors that you can buy several places online, or a Weber motor?

I use both kinds (120vac & battery OneGril and Weber 120vac) and all work well. 

One of them is deeper than the other, ie the spit goes deeper into the drive part of the motor deeper than the other.  Other than that, for me, they function equally well.  I think all things being equal, the deeper is more desireable, especially with a spit with a long tapered point.  My two shortened weber spits have shorter than stock tapers.

Seth1025

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 05:24:27 PM »
I have the original Weber motor and an one of the battery operated ones as a backup. 

Poorfolks

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2019, 07:30:17 AM »
I bought the weber 2290 and sold the 120v motor asap and bought the battery one.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2019, 02:39:49 PM »
One of them is deeper than the other, ie the spit goes deeper into the drive part of the motor deeper than the other.  Other than that, for me, they function equally well.  I think all things being equal, the deeper is more desireable, especially with a spit with a long tapered point.  My two shortened weber spits have shorter than stock tapers.

I measured 4 different motor drive socket depths.  I came up with the following:
Weber: 2 5/16"
OneGrill 120vac: [size=78%]1 7/8"[/size]
OneGrill Battery: 1 3/4"
Master Forge: 7/8"

Weber:
2019-02-02-15.04.20.jpg" border="0

OneGrill 4PM05 (120vac):
2019-02-02-15.02.44.jpg" border="0

OneGrill (Battery):
2019-02-02-15.07.30.jpg" border="0

Master Forge CS-6107:
2019-02-02-15.06.04.jpg" border="0

foshizzle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 08:27:17 PM »
The Cajun Bandit Rotisserie ring came with this one from One Grill.
OneGrill Cordless Grill Rotisserie Motor-25 lb (With AC Adapter, Chrome Steel) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CN3BHVS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_GYMwCbHJTYJRB
It’s cordless which was key for me because it’s so much easier to setup without having to get an extension cord to plug in. I use a counter balance with this one but I heard (and not sure) but if you get the heavier duty motors you won’t have to mess with the counterbalance with chickens and mid size turkeys.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 09:53:00 AM »
I got an E-Z Que cradle to replace the spit rod a few years ago off ebay. Great unit, no holes thru the middle of yer meat. Not sure if they still have them, butt worth a look.

Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2019, 10:45:56 AM »

I got an E-Z Que cradle to replace the spit rod a few years ago off ebay. Great unit, no holes thru the middle of yer meat. Not sure if they still have them, butt worth a look.

Whatever that is looks fantastic. I miss your cook pics

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2019, 02:02:44 AM »

Whatever that is looks fantastic. I miss your cook pics

Thanks! That's a pork loin in the pic. Yes, I have been lacking in the cook pics... been having some health issues and have been laying back... Stay tuned...
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.