Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Fajitas  (Read 745 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Fajitas
« on: December 14, 2018, 03:18:22 AM »
I’m always trying new cooking methods with basically the same ingredients.

I used to grill the meat and have the veggies sautéing in a separate pan on the grill already cut up. I would then cut the meat up and combine and serve immediately. Works well but skirt steak would be medium rare and would be chewy.

Last time I chopped all the meat and veggies and cooked them together in a carbon steel pan.  I would cook them in their own juices until the juice reduced and everything started to caramelize. That worked well but the ingredients lacked a grilled flavor.

This time I rough chopped the veggies and grilled them first. In the picture, the tomatoes and jalapeños were mostly for salsa and the rest for fajitas. I pulled those off and chopped the the veggies and made the salsa.

I then grilled the meat until I got the color I wanted ignoring internal temp. I then cut the meat up and combined in a cast iron skillet and added fajita seasonings and a splash of beer. I covered on low and simmered for 45 minutes. This tenderizes the meats and combines all the flavors.

The last few minutes with the grill still hot I threw the tortillas on.

I liked the sequence of this method. The fajita ingredients are piping hot while serving and there is enough time to prepare everything else and clean the entire kitchen before serving so there is just a pan and some plates to clean afterwards. As many of you know an exorcise In cooking is an exorcise in cleaning.

One thing I will do different is I will add the veggies the last 15 minutes of the stove top cooking so they still have some body.

This method might not be for everyone but I really enjoyed it.

What’s your favorite cooking method?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 03:29:01 AM by HoosierKettle »

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Fajitas
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 06:06:55 AM »
I just can't see anything wrong with that method, I am close to that but will try this way next time looks grate, I love fajitas
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 08:30:04 AM »
That looks really good

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 12:58:42 PM »
I think you've got in nailed HK ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 01:15:49 PM »
There’s so many different ways and methods that end in great results. It’s really just about refining it to your personal taste. I might be close. Not quite there. Several more attempts will get me closer [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 12:24:01 PM »
Man, that looks good. I think I’m trying this method next time. Thanks!

-Jed
-Jed